Written on July 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm , by FITNESS Intern
Written by Theresa K. Brady, editorial intern
Ice cream is a summertime staple—in fact yesterday was National Ice Cream Day! But sadly, the frosty treat isn’t always bikini-friendly, so I like to swap in frozen yogurt for some of those scoops.
Besides providing a healthier and practically fat-free alternative, frozen yogurt is a better source of calcium than standard ice cream, says Dawn Jackson Blatner, R.D., spokesperson for the American Dietetics Association and FITNESS advisory board member. Need more of a reason to make the switch? Many frozen yogurts contain “good bacteria” that is beneficial for your digestive system, according to Marjorie Nolan, R.D., a nutrition counselor in New York City.
I took on the (not so) difficult task of touring the yogurt options near our offices. My unscientific personal picks:
- Best Texture: Pinkberry
- Best Vanilla: Red Mango
- Best Chocolate: Pinkberry—I think it tastes better than chocolate ice cream!
- Lowest Calories: Tasti D Lite. Several flavors are offered that have 70 calories per ½ cup.
- Most Unique Flavor: Tasti D Lite’s PB Moosemellow (90 calories, 2.5 g fat)
- Most Bang for Your Buck: Certain locations of several yogurt vendors allow you to serve yourself and pay by ounce so you only pay for what you eat!
- Most Topping Options: 16 Handles. More than forty are available.
If all of those flavor and topping combinations have you feeling a bit overwhelmed, try one of these sure-to-please mixes that will satisfy any sweet tooth.
- Chocoholic: chocolate frozen yogurt, dark chocolate chips, cocoa puffs, drizzle of chocolate
- Tutti Fruity: strawberry frozen yogurt, fresh pineapple, fresh raspberries, fresh kiwi fruity pebbles
- Happy Trails: original frozen yogurt, granola, peanuts, raisins, M&Ms, drizzle of honey
If you don’t have a frozen yogurt shop near you or prefer at-home snacks, take a look at our Healthy Snack Awards in the July/August issue for plenty of healthy treats that are sure to cool you down.
Now tell us: What is your favorite summertime dessert?