May is the proud to host holidays such as Cinco de Mayo and Memorial Day, but there are plenty of other lesser-known (but perfectly legitimate) reasons to celebrate. Did you know that May is National Salad, Hamburger and Strawberry Month? Well now you do!
To mark each of these occasions, we’re rounding up our favorite recipes in each of those categories. Mix and match a few for a well-balanced meal—we’ve provided options for appetizers, main meals, desserts and beverages. (Note: We don’t recommend that you try mixing all of these themes into one dish with a strawberry salad-topped burger, however!)
Mix up your salads. . .
- Chinese Chicken Salad: Takeout taste, minus the grease. (295 calories, 14.5 g. fat)
- Chicken Sausage Salad with Lentils and Green Apple: Sick of lettuce? This salad’s for you. (427 calories, 15 g. fat)
- Couscous & Fruit Salad: Sounds wild, but the flavor combination is amazing. (259 calories, 9 g. fat)
Flip for these hamburgers. . .
- Ultimate Burger: Lemon zest adds zing! (438 calories, 19 g. fat)
- Burger with Feta and Spinach: A fancy meat-free option. (389 calories, 12 g. fat)
- Thai Turkey Burgers: The American favorite gets an exotic twist. (389 calories, 13 g. fat)
Pick strawberries. . .
- Fresh Strawberry Dressing: Ideal as a sweet salad topper! (26 calories, 2 g. fat)
- Strawberry Coconut Daiquiri: A cool cocktail for the adults. (112 calories, 0 g.fat)
- Strawberries with Lemon Curd: Try berries as the center of your dessert, rather than custard or ice cream. (120 calories, 5 g. fat)
For more delicious seasonal recipes, check out “Summer Fare” in our June issue—on newsstands now!
Now tell us: What’s the best homemade meal you’ve whipped up lately?