Written on July 6, 2012 at 12:30 pm , by April Franzino
We’ll admit it: We’re suckers for beauty products that smell like all manner of sweets— coconut, vanilla, chocolate; we don’t discriminate! The scents, when authentic, conjure up visions of candy bars, cupcakes, and ice cream, and provide a calorie-free way to satisfy our sugar cravings. Our latest love, Pooka Pure & Simple Fresh Sugah Whipped Cream, is a body moisturizer that smells delightfully, but not overwhelmingly, like our grandma’s buttercream frosting. And the texture actually resembles dessert: It’s fluffy and close to, well, whipped cream. The formula contains only shea butter, soybean oil, vitamin E, fragrance, and essential oils, so it feels silky, not sticky and leaves skin supersoft.
Tell us: What’s the sweet-smelling beauty indulgence you can’t resist?
Written on May 8, 2012 at 1:50 pm , by April Franzino
Our office was flooded with beauty products packed with vitamin-rich, nourishing extracts like honey, beeswax, propolis and royal jelly while we worked on our May 2012 “Buzz-Worthy Finds” Beauty Buys page. We couldn’t fit all our favorite picks on one page, so here are more sweet steals that had the beauty department buzzing.
- Nuxe Reve de Miel Face Cleansing and Make-Up Removing Gel gently melts away product and grime with sunflower seed oil and honey.
- Honey, rice brain oil, and papaya and pineapple fruit extracts in Farmhouse Fresh Honey Heel Glaze get rid of rough soles.
- Suds safely with mildly-fragrant Beecology Natural Honey and Botanical Sulfate-Free Shampoo, infused with propolis, chamomile and honey extracts.
- John Masters Organics Honey & Hibiscus Hair Reconstructor repairs fried, frayed strands with a host of natural ingredients, like soy and wheat proteins, jojoba, flax, and borage seed oils, and arnica flower, white tea leaf, and chamomile flower extracts.
- Fast-absorbing, orange oil-fragranced Neal’s Yard Remedies Bee Lovely Hand Cream is laced with honey and propolis extract in a brazil nut and sunflower seed oil base.
Categories: Beauty On the Go | Tags: Beauty Buys, Beecology Natural Honey and Botanical Sulfate-Free Shampoo, beeswax, Big DIpper Wax Works Beeswax Sphere Candles, body, Buzz-Worthy Finds, candles, Face, Farmhouse Fresh Honey Heel Glaze, feet, Hands, home, honey, hydrate, John Masters Organics Honey & Hibiscus Hair Reconstructor, May 2012 issue, Melvita Ultra-Nourishing Body Balm, Neal's Yard Remedies Bee Lovely Hand Cream, nourish, Nuxe Reve de Miel Face Cleansing and Make-Up Removing Gel, Paddywax Orange Blossom Large Tin Candle, propolis, Repechage Honey Body Polish, royal jelly, Scent, skin, sweet, Worker B All-Purpose Balm, Worker B Lotion Bar, Worker B Treatment Stick
Written on April 29, 2011 at 11:44 am , by April Franzino
You might not be able to have a bite of the royal wedding cake, but you can slick on storied British brand Crabtree & Evelyn’s delectable Vanilla Créme Brûlée Lip Butter. The extra creamy shea-butter based formula tastes and smells true-to-life, like a decadent dessert—minus the calories!—and leaves behind just a hint of sheen. A treat truly fit for a princess!
Written on November 24, 2010 at 12:10 pm , by Eleanor Langston
In our November/December issue (on stands now!), I wrote a feature about how your workout of choice can lead you to a perfect-for-you perfume pick. Researchers say that the part of the brain that’s linked to your sense of smell has a direct connection to your personality and exercise preference.
In the issue, we have fragrance finds for active readers who love to hike, run, spin and practice yoga, but we had to drop one exercise category from the layout: dancing. Read on to sniff out a new signature scent for the season!
Your Workout: Dancing
Your Fit Fragrance: Gourmand
If you love ballet, jazz, hip-hop, or even Zumba classes, chances are you enjoy being in tune with your body. And scrumptious food-inspired fragrances take the cake in terms of increasing your self-esteem. “Because they’re often associated with positive, nostalgic feelings, research suggests that these sweet scents can raise your endorphin levels, making you feel better about yourself,” explains Alan Hirsch, M.D., of the Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago. Try these yummy, but still subtle, scents:
- Victoria’s Secret Dream Angels Heavenly Stardust ($49, Victoria’s Secret stores) has comforting traces of caramel and praline.
- The star note in Pure DKNY ($80, dkny.com) is vanilla, which smells fresh, thanks to hints of creamy sandalwood.
- Mary Kay Thinking of You ($30, marykay.com) sweetens skin with delish dashes of tonka bean, vanilla, and sugar.