OK, so I admit, this isn’t necessarily a new “find” for me, but it’s become a classic product that I always rely on. And while we’re on the topic of coming clean, I have another dirty (literally!) little secret: I hate washing my hair. Now don’t judge me, but I only wash my hair twice a week, which poses a serious problem when I’m working out everyday. Klorane Extra Gentle Dry Shampoo ($18, drugstore.com) eliminates sweaty strands in between washes without forcing me to totally restyle my hair. I just throw on a cap when I hit the shower and afterwards, spray the dry shampoo into my roots and comb through. Another trick: I’ll spray it in before bed and twist my hair up into a bun to add a little texture and prevent it from getting flat and greasy while I sleep. Then I wake up to perfectly tousled “bed-head” waves. I keep a bottle in my bathroom, at my desk, at my boyfriend’s apartment and a mini-size version in my gym bag because, seriously, it’s that good!
Being a beauty editor forces us to be fickle— new launches to test arrive at our desks every day— so very few products become mainstays in our arsenal. One that’s remained unmatched over the years is Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Cream. The lightweight olive oil-based formula has the miraculous ability to instantly turn our strands from straw to silk. We use it as a leave-in conditioner or work a dime-sized amount over dry strands to smooth and add shine, making split ends disappear and even the most abused hair (like ours) look healthy again.
Tell us: What’s the hair styling product you can’t live without?
For most of my life, I wanted to be one of the girls whose hair naturally air-dries straight. Instead, mine would morph into a huge, curly pouf! Growing up, I spent countless hours in front of a mirror straightening my hair, not to mention the hundreds of dollars testing different products. Here, the regimen that helped me drop the heat styling tools and learn to love my curls:
- Suds up with a sulfate-free shampoo. Most shampoos contain harsh detergents that can strip the hair of hydrating natural oils. We love Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating Shampoo to cleanse strands while maintaining the protective lipid barrier.
- Instead of conditioner, slather a rich treatment mask all over locks every time you shower and leave on for at least five minutes before rinsing. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask turns straw-like tendrils into springy, silky curls.
- Work a leave-in conditioner liberally through locks to tame frizz and define curls. Choose a cream-based formula, like Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner, for maximum hydration.
—By Wanda Rosa, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Hair Helpers | Tags: curls, curly hair, Frizz, hair, Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating Shampoo, Mixed Chicks Leave In Conditioner, Moisture, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask, protein, strands
We’d recently gone a tad too long between trims— OK, more like a month too long!— and had shamefully scraggly ends to show for it. Our strand-saving grace: Redken All Soft Argan-6 Multi-Care Oil, a subtly sweet-scented formula that’s more viscous than regular oils, so it’s not runny and messy. We apply a dollop on damp hair after a shower: The argan-packed elixir makes our brittle, frayed ends feel soft and look healthy. It can be used on dry hair as well to tame, smooth and add shine in between washings, or as a rinse-out nourishing treatment.
Tell us: What’s the best product you’ve found for concealing and healing dead ends?
Last week, we had the chance to sit down with TV personality Vanessa Lachey, the first ever celebrity ambassador for the haircare brand Nioxin. The gorgeous, down-to-earth brunette (yes, that’s really her hair!) shared everything from her junk food weakness to her biggest beauty bummer to the skin cream she can’t live without. Take a look:
This morning, I visited the Phyto Haircare Phyto Universe treatment center in New York City for a hair and scalp consultation—an especially scary prospect when I haven’t shampooed in almost four days! Luckily, the hair expert when easy on me. See the photos of my scalp and hair magnified 200x below:
A few healthy hair pointers I picked up during my consultation:
- Before washing your hair, give yourself a mini scalp massage with a paddle brush to loosen any buildup.
- For maximum shine, use a clarifying shampoo in place of your regular formula once a month.
- To repair and hydrate dry ends like mine, keep a lightweight leave-in cream on hand and lightly smooth over them daily.
After testing countless formulations, we’ve learned that not all dry shampoos are created equal. Some are just too chalky, sticky, wet, etc. One that comes close to perfection: Batiste Dry Shampoo in Blush. This spray goes on completely clear, absorbs oil, boosts volume, and leaves hair smelling slightly floral, yet free of residue. Besides using it to freshen strands post gym, on nights we don’t wash, we spritz it on our roots before bed, brush through, and wake up with full, fresh hair.
Tell us: What’s the best dry shampoo you’ve found?
The mane man behind Gisele Bündchen‘s iconic waves, Harry Josh, is hitting the road on the John Frieda Destination: Style Salon Tour. The bus of celebrity stylists, led by Josh, is traveling to cities across the country in May, June and July to offer free 15-minute consultations and styling lessons. Stop by when the bus rolls through your city:
- Friday, May 13, 2011 New York, NY “Times Square – Broadway Plaza (Broadway btw. 43rd & 44th)” 11AM – 7PM
- Saturday, May 14, 2011 New York, NY 11AM – 7PM
- Friday, May 20, 2011 Philadelphia, PA “King of Prussia Mall Route 202 at Mall Boulevard, Suite 2700 King of Prussia, PA” noon – 8PM
- Saturday, May 21, 2011 Philadelphia, PA 11AM – 7PM
- Thursday, May 26, 2011 Miami, FL “Aventura Mall 19501 Biscayne Blvd Aventura, FL 33180″ noon – 8PM
- Friday, May 27, 2011 Miami, FL noon – 8PM
- Saturday, June 04, 2011 Bentonville, AR “WalMart Supercenter Store 5260 4208 Pleasant Crossing Blvd Rogers, AR 72758″ 9AM – 5PM
- Friday, June 10, 2011 Dallas, TX “Shops at Park Lane 8070 Park Ln Dallas, TX 75231″ 10AM – 6PM
- Saturday, June 11, 2011 Dallas, TX 10AM – 6PM
- Friday, June 17, 2011 Phoenix, AZ “Westgate City Center 6770 North Sunrise Boulevard Glendale, AZ 85305″ 2PM – 10PM
- Saturday, June 18, 2011 Phoenix, AZ 2PM – 10PM
- Friday, June 24, 2011 Los Angeles, CA “Hollywood & Highland 6801 Hollywood Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90028″ 11AM – 7PM
- Saturday, June 25, 2011 Los Angeles, CA 11AM – 7PM
- Wednesday, June 29, 2011 Seattle, WA “Westlake Park 4th Avenue (SE side of Pine St.) Seattle, Washington” 11AM – 7PM
- Thursday, June 30, 2011 Seattle, WA Westlake Park 11AM – 7PM
- Saturday, July 09, 2011 Chicago, IL “West Fest Chicago Ave. SE intersection of Wolcot St.” noon – 8PM
- Sunday, July 10, 2011 Chicago, IL noon – 8PM
- Friday, July 15, 2011 Minneapolis, MN “Mall of America 5000 Center Ct. Bloomington, MN 55425″ noon – 8PM
- Saturday, July 16, 2011 Minneapolis, MN 11AM – 7PM
- Friday, July 22, 2011 Atlanta, GA “Perimeter Mall 4400 Ashford Dunwoody Road Atlanta, GA 30346″ noon – 8PM
- Saturday, July 23, 2011 Atlanta, GA noon – 8PM
Haircare behemoth Pantene just announced two HUGE new spokeswomen: Screen stars Eva Mendes and Naomi Watts. Starting in July, Watts will represent the Flat to Volume Collection in print and television ads. Take a peek behind-the-scenes of her photo shoot:
Haircare behemoth Pantene just announced two HUGE new spokeswomen: Screen stars Eva Mendes and Naomi Watts. Starting in July, Mendes will represent the Breakage to Strength Collection in print and television ads. Take a peek behind-the-scenes of her photo shoot, and stay tuned for Naomi’s video tomorrow: