Written on June 7, 2011 at 9:18 am , by Fitness Magazine
Ladies, we all know how important it is to stay safe in the sun, but who doesn’t want a nice glow? Well, it’s time to kiss the damaging sun oils goodbye and say hello to the myriad self-tanner options on the market. Since choosing among the bounty can be daunting, I put together a list of my favorite options:
BEST INSTANT TANNER: L’Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Lotion in Deep Natural No need to worry about looking orange with this one; a perfectly bronze shade developed within a few hours.
BEST GRADUAL TANNER: Jergens Natural Glow Foaming Moisturizer This lightweight foam subtly enhanced my skin tone in less than a week—and spread on so easily.
BEST RINSE-OFF: MAC Cosmetics Skin-Sheen Leg Spray When my legs need an extra boost for a little black dress, I spray this transfer-resistant tint on, and it washes off in my next shower.
—By Kelly Garner, beauty intern
Written on January 6, 2011 at 9:31 am , by Fitness Magazine
With a blizzard just behind us in New York and a few more months of grueling winter ahead, I’ve begun to dream of tropical vacations and the feeling warm sun on my (SPF-protected) skin. All the gloomy weather makes this the perfect time to try an innovative self-tanner formula like St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse. The foaming product spreads evenly, allowing us mortals to apply tanner with minimal to no streaking, and it dries in about a minute. If I can’t actually go away on a vacation this winter, this tanner is sure to help me fake it!
-By Michelle Ernest, beauty intern
Written on June 16, 2010 at 10:55 am , by Fitness Magazine
Self-tanner can make you look slimmer and smoother if you do it right. Follow these expert tint hints.
1) Exfoliate thoroughly. If you don’t, your faux glow will look streaky, says New York City-based tanning expert, Anna Stankiewicz. Avoid oil-based scrubs, which can coat the skin and cause patchiness.
2) Prep parched parts. Before you get glowing, put a light layer of lotion on your hands, feet, elbows and heels to keep the bronzer from over absorbing into dry areas. “You’ll still get a little bit of penetration but not enough to cause splotches,” Stankiewicz says.
3) Get even. Keep crinkly areas, like your knees and elbows, seamless by bending them as you apply tanner. Don’t forget to massage the formula into your neck, the skin around your ears and hairline–all are zones women often miss.
4) Bring sexy back. To get your upper back and shoulders, try this trick from Dera Enochson, creator and founder of Xen-Tan: Take a foot of Saran Wrap and fold it lengthwise into a two-inch strip. Put tanner in the middle, and, holding the ends, smooth it across your back like you’re drying your back with a towel.
5) Use protection. Don’t rub off your tawny color before it develops. After your application dries, blot on a talc-free powder, such as Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder ($4.55, burtsbees.com), to create a barrier. Remember not to shower for about eight hours. Now, you’re golden!