Written on April 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm , by Eleanor Langston
Yesterday was FITNESS magazine’s annual half-marathon, so I know that the 8,000 women who participated are probably pretty sore today. I had a BLAST running the race. It was so uplifting, motivating and encouraging to see all of these women cheering for each other and genuinely wanting each other to succeed. Here are some stretching exercises to aid your recovery from Mathilde Thomas, founder of Caudalie and the Caudalie Vinotherapie Spa at The Plaza:
- Standing, holding the left ankle with the left hand, pull backwards to feel the stretch, switch foot.
- Lying on your back, bring one knee to your chest. Hold for 30 seconds. Do the same with the opposite leg. Then bring both knees to your chest and hold for 30 seconds.
- Lying on your back with one leg on the floor; the other leg is bent, place a rope (or towel) on the ball of the foot, hold the rope and straighten to stretch.
- Facing the wall at arms distance, place one foot close to the wall and bend that knee and arms to stretch opposite calve. Switch legs.
- Place ball of foot on the edge of stairs, lower one heel, then switch.
- Sit with both legs straight. Loop a rope around the ball of one foot and pull each end of the rope. Flex your feet.
- Bend as if you are going to touch your toes and hang. At each exhale lower your hands. Slowly roll back up one vertebra at a time.