Written on June 29, 2012 at 10:12 am , by April Franzino
Summer’s supposed to be filled with backyard barbecues and lazy afternoons at the beach, but the reality is that most days we can’t escape our desks. This week has been especially crazy, so we’ve turned to the bottle of Aveda Stress Fix Body Lotion we keep next to our computer to calm our senses. We smooth it all over our arms and legs during the day to not only keep them soft with shea butter and sunflower oil, but also ease tension with an intoxicating mix of organic lavender and clary sage essential oils. Try smoothing it on before bed, too, to wind down after a long day.
Tell us: What are your go-to beauty products for relaxation?
Written on December 8, 2010 at 7:34 am , by April Franzino
Can’t make it to the spa for a sports massage? “Give yourself a break from everyday stresses with stretches that target overworked or tight muscles in the body,” says Cassandra LeDonne, lead therapist at the Spa at One Ocean Resort in Atlantic Beach, Florida. “They’re simple and can be done in bed without equipment.” Her regimen:
- Lie comfortably on your back and pull your knee to your chest, stretching the hamstrings.
- Drop your knee at a right angle to the side and rest in that position to loosen the hips.
- With knees bent and feet flat, place your left foot at a right angle on top of the opposite knee, pushing the right knee into the chest.
- Extend your arm above your head and slightly out, relaxing it and adjusting to target the tight spots in your chest and shoulder.
- Repeat on both sides, breathing deeply as you go and settling into each for at least one minute. Follow with a calming sea or Epsom salt bath. “The salts help to relieve sore muscles,” she says. Our pick: Super-soothing LaNatura Feel-Well Organic Lavender Mineral Bath Salts—they come with seashells for scooping!