Written on October 25, 2013 at 9:00 am , by Fitness Magazine
Winter is right around the corner and I can already feel my skin cringing at thought of the harsh elements. So when I saw the Fresh Crème Ancienne Ultimate Nourishing Honey Mask ($130, Fresh.com) I couldn’t help wanting to slather in on my face ASAP. This luxe pot of sweet goodness, which contains two and a half tablespoons of pure honey, melts into skin to deliver up to six hours (according to the company) of nourishment. It’s also packed with Echinacea extract, which helps improve skin’s resilience to environmental aggressors like pollution and smog (a big plus for big city dwellers!). While I’m leery of thick masks due to my oily, acne-prone skin, this one didn’t clog my pores or trigger a breakout, since honey is actually a natural antibiotic and works to pull out dirt and grime while also healing existing acne marks. Before bed, I smooth it over cleansed, damp skin and leave it on for ten minutes before rinsing with warm water. I wake up with a radiant glow. Warning: the mask’s super-sweet honey fragrance may cause a midnight snack craving!
Written on February 15, 2013 at 12:06 pm , by Molly Ritterbeck
The weather in New York City has been pretty unpredictable lately—a nor’easter one week; sunny the next. Sudden changes in temperature and humidity (or Nemo!) pretty much wreak havoc on my skin and leave it looking dry and dull until I slathered on First Aid Beauty Dual Repair Face Cream ($44, firstaidbeauty.com). I massaged it into my tight skin before bed and instantly felt more hydrated. When I woke up, my skin looked dewy and even. The texture, which helps to strengthen your skin’s natural moisture barrier, feels like a gel-like cream—super light and fast-absorbing—a must-have for the rest of this crazy-weathered winter!
Written on June 29, 2012 at 10:12 am , by April Franzino
Summer’s supposed to be filled with backyard barbecues and lazy afternoons at the beach, but the reality is that most days we can’t escape our desks. This week has been especially crazy, so we’ve turned to the bottle of Aveda Stress Fix Body Lotion we keep next to our computer to calm our senses. We smooth it all over our arms and legs during the day to not only keep them soft with shea butter and sunflower oil, but also ease tension with an intoxicating mix of organic lavender and clary sage essential oils. Try smoothing it on before bed, too, to wind down after a long day.
Tell us: What are your go-to beauty products for relaxation?
Written on January 26, 2012 at 10:10 am , by Fitness Magazine
In this week’s Staffer Beauty Snoop, new spring beauty intern Wanda Rosa spills the must-haves and secrets that keep her looking great through work, classes and workouts:
Describe your beauty style in three words or less: Feminine, bold and glamorous!
What are the three beauty products you can’t live without? My CROC Flat Iron, Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover Foundation and lipgloss— I have too many to count!
What’s your beauty routine in the morning? After a quick shower, I moisturize my face and apply primer. Then I put on foundation (mentioned above) which I love because of its flawless coverage, Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Eraser Treatment Concealer, a bit of eyeliner and lipgloss. I smooth a heat protectant over my hair, straighten it, and then I’m out the door.
At night? I remove my makeup with a towelette, moisturize and I’m ready to sleep!
Post-workout? After I workout I have to shower— no surprise there! I can’t continue my day if I don’t feel fresh.
What beauty product or treatment instantly makes you feel good? Getting my eyebrows done: I feel like a new person once my arches are trimmed, shapely and beautiful.
What’s the best beauty tip you’ve ever received (or thought of yourself)? Always remove your makeup before going to bed! Leaving it on can result in clogged pores, breakouts and dryness. It takes just a minute and your skin will thank you!
—By Wanda Rosa, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Staffer Beauty Snoop | Tags: breakouts, clogged pores, CROC Flat Iron, eyebrows, eyeliner, heat protectant, lipgloss, Make Up Forever HD Invisible Cover Foundation, makeup wipes, Maybelline New York Instant Age Rewind Eraser Treatment Concealer, moisturizer, premature aging, primer, Staffer Beauty Snoop, Wanda Rosa
Written on January 4, 2012 at 10:38 am , by Fitness Magazine
Since arriving in chilly, arid New York City from Mississippi a few weeks ago, I’ve been plagued by flaky, parched skin and chapped lips. So I grilled dermatologist Joshua Zeichner, M.D., Director of Cosmetic & Clinical Research at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City, for his best tips on fighting climate-induced dryness:
- Thicken up your skincare routine by choosing a moisturizer that’s one level heavier than what you normally use. If you usually go for a gel formula, try a lotion; if you normally use a lotion, try a cream; and if your go-to is a cream, try a balm, salve or oil.
- Even your ears need a little TLC in the winter, because they’re often exposed to the elements: Apply the same product you use for your face on your ears as well.
- Don’t neglect your lips! Your lips have fewer oil glands than other parts of your body, so they’re highly susceptible to cracking and sun damage. Slather on a lip balm with SPF, Nivea A Kiss of Protection Lip Care SPF 30, every day.
- Using antibacterial gels and frequent hand-washing during flu season can cause dry skin. Help your hands by hydrating with a thick cream such as Crabtree & Evelyn Rosewater Ultra-Moisturising Hand Therapy after each wash. For severe dryness, cover your hands and feet with petroleum jelly followed by gloves or socks before bed to help skin heal overnight.
- Skip the soap: It can strip the body of oil and dehydrate skin. Try a moisturizing body wash like Neosporin Moisture Essentials Daily Body Wash that will gently cleanse dry skin.
- Super-hot showers feel great during the winter, but the heat can break down the skin’s lipid barrier. Prevent damage by taking cool or lukewarm baths.
—By Leah Cayson, beauty intern
Written on September 23, 2011 at 12:33 pm , by April Franzino
Today may be the first day of fall, but that doesn’t mean you should stash your sunscreen until next summer. Even on dreary days like today, we protect ourselves with SPF, like Aveeno Smart Essentials Daily Nourishing Moisturizer SPF 30. This silky lotion absorbs quickly, smells slightly sweet, and does double duty, offering extra protection with a trio of antioxidants: vitamins A, C, and E. Our skin has been smoother than ever and virtually irritation-free since we’ve started using it.
Tell us: What’s your go-to daily SPF?
Written on November 17, 2010 at 7:21 am , by Fitness Magazine
It’s no secret that the cold months leave our hands feeling dry and brittle. Brutal wind and bitter temperatures cause them to crack and flake, a look that will never be in style. Hand model Christina Amber has represented top national brands like Sally Hansen, Jergens, Nivea, Neutrogena and Maybelline; and has stood in for celebrities including Jennifer Love Hewitt, Kelly Ripa, Natalie Portman and Mia Hamm. Here, her secrets for keeping hands looking fresh and youthful during the winter months:
- Always keep a moisturizer with you to reapply throughout the day. Try Dermelect Timeless Anti-Aging Daily Hand Treatment. The 4 ounce container makes it super compact and easy to tote on-the-go.
- Think gloves! Gloves protect your hands from the cold winter weather, and are just as important indoors. To protect your skin from damaging chemicals, wear a pair while doing housework!
- Avoid washing your hands with hot water, which opens pores and dries out the skin: Wash with lukewarm water instead.
- Limit use of harsh antibacterial soaps, which can also leave skin dry and brittle. Instead, look for formulas with hydrating and nourishing ingredients.
How do you keep your hands in top shape?
-Nina Ramadan, beauty intern
Written on October 22, 2010 at 10:15 am , by April Franzino
Halloween is just around the corner, which means tempting sweets are everywhere. But you can get your chocolate fix—calorie-free—with Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Body Butter. We slather the vitamin E-rich cream all over our dry spots before bed: It’s like dessert for our senses and our skin! Do you like sweetly-scented beauty treats?