Written on February 7, 2014 at 8:00 am , by Molly Ritterbeck
Let’s just say this has been one rough winter for us here in the northeast. There have been polar vortexes, followed by apocalyptic snow storms, followed by plummeting temperatures, followed by rain, sleet, hail, slush—the kind of stuff you remember from the 90s. I’m from northeast PA, not too far outside the city but at a much higher elevation so this is nothing new to me. But sadly, my skin has adapted to the closer-to-sea-level altitude of NYC and it has not been happy with the forecast. White, dry and flaky: my skin’s condition sounds more and more like the weather that’s causing it as each wintery day passes. I needed some serious help so I grabbed Suave Professionals Moroccan Infusion Body Lotion ($5, walgreens.com). I slather it on right out of the shower (waiting more than just a few minutes can mean less hydration) and it sinks in deep to hydrate extra dry skin. It’s infused with authentic Moroccan argan oil, a lightweight ingredient known to be rich in nutrients and antioxidants, so after just a few days of using it, I noticed my skin looking more radiant than before. The effects last all day so I know I’m covered until I reapply before bed (seriously, my skin drinks this stuff up.) And since those meteorology-savvy little groundhogs Punxsutawney Phil and Staten Island Chuck both saw their shadows this year, predicting six more weeks of this arctic assault in the northeast, I guess I’ll be relying on every last drop of this skin saver until spring.
On a side note, if you’re like me and dreading this weather, but wishing for brighter days, Suave has teamed up with the dapper celebrity fashion stylist, Brad Goreski, to help make your dreams come true. Just tweet your wish (which can be anything from silky, glowing skin to a sunny vacay) to @SuaveBeauty with hashtag #RadiantWishes to be entered into the sweepstakes or head to the Suave Beauty Facebook page to enter the Radiant Wishes Sweepstakes for a chance to win Suave Professional Moroccan infusion products, a spa day or a trip to sunny Los Angeles. A few lucky winners’ wishes will be fulfilled!
Written on March 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm , by Fitness Magazine
For most of my life, I wanted to be one of the girls whose hair naturally air-dries straight. Instead, mine would morph into a huge, curly pouf! Growing up, I spent countless hours in front of a mirror straightening my hair, not to mention the hundreds of dollars testing different products. Here, the regimen that helped me drop the heat styling tools and learn to love my curls:
- Suds up with a sulfate-free shampoo. Most shampoos contain harsh detergents that can strip the hair of hydrating natural oils. We love Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating Shampoo to cleanse strands while maintaining the protective lipid barrier.
- Instead of conditioner, slather a rich treatment mask all over locks every time you shower and leave on for at least five minutes before rinsing. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask turns straw-like tendrils into springy, silky curls.
- Work a leave-in conditioner liberally through locks to tame frizz and define curls. Choose a cream-based formula, like Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner, for maximum hydration.
—By Wanda Rosa, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Hair Helpers | Tags: curls, curly hair, Frizz, hair, Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating Shampoo, Mixed Chicks Leave In Conditioner, Moisture, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask, protein, strands
Written on July 26, 2011 at 9:26 am , by Fitness Magazine
Last week we got a chance to chat with Gillette Venus dermatologist Ellen Gendler, M.D., clinical associate professor at New York University School of Medicine who answered our burning questions about shaving. She has seen and treated every hair removal issue under the sun during her 26 years practicing in New York City. Check out our interview:
- What type of razor is the best choice for dry skin? If you have dry, sensitive skin, choose a razor with a have pivoting head, rather than a straight head, which has harsh angles that can damage skin. I like the Gillette Venus ProSkin Moisture Rich Razor because the head moves with the contours of your body, plus it has a shave gel bar built right in. It’s easy to travel with because you don’t even need to carry shaving cream.
- Is shaving before or after a workout better for our skin? I would say that there’s really no difference, as long as you shave in the shower. Never dry shave!
- Is it bad to leave a razor in the shower near the running water in between uses? You should not leave your razor in a wet area because harmful bacteria can build up on it and rust can form, which warps the blade, risking nicks and cuts. Many razors come with cases that can be suctioned to the shower wall to help keep the razor dry when not in use. Also, if you expose razors with built-in shaving cream bars to water when you’re not using them, the shave gel will disintegrate.
- How can we prevent painful nicks and cuts from shaving? Be careful to contour the razor to your skin. Different people may need different razors, but stick with one that pivots rather than a straight edge, as previously mentioned. A pivoting head makes it easier to glide over areas like the knees and ankles without catching on the skin’s nooks and crannies.
- Does shaving make a self-tan fade faster? Shaving will definitely make your self-tan fade because you are exfoliating a layer of skin where you’ve applied the tanner. Be sure to moisturize skin before you shave and use a hydrating shaving cream to minimize the exfoliating effect.
—By Amanda Downs, beauty intern
Written on January 7, 2011 at 9:17 am , by Fitness Magazine
On my last day as an intern at FITNESS last summer, beauty director Eleanor Langston pushed a handful of Korres Lip Butters into my hands. “You have to try these; they’re a beauty editor favorite,” she said.
She didn’t mention they were addictive! Since then, I haven’t left the house without a tub of the rich, buttery formula in tow. The product is perfect for winter lips in need of moisture. And, the tinted shades add just the right touch of shine for both every day and special occasions. You can even dab a little onto your cheeks for a natural flush of color. I love Wild Rose — the sheer, deep red is gorgeous — but there are six other great colors to choose from at just $10 each. What are your go-to winter lip products?
— Catherine Q. O’Neill, contributing blogger