Written on July 21, 2011 at 7:03 am , by Fitness Magazine
It’s the season of ice cream cones, long nights, pool parties—and scorching temperatures (it’s 100 in NYC today!) that throw a wrench in your standard beauty routine. No need to panic or flee for the indoors: These summer essentials will keep you feeling fresh and looking great.
- Yes To Cucumbers Facial Towelettes: These refreshing, cucumber-scented wipes are great for calming sensitive skin: One towelette gently removes any sweat and dirt on your face.
- Visine Summer Spectrum Relief Eyedrops: Say goodbye to itchy, dry eyes. This special summertime formula combines three different moisturizing ingredients to soothe eyes inflamed by the sun, salt, and wind. Put one drop in each eye after a swim or whenever your eyes feel irritated.
- Philosophy Supernatural Superglossy Lip Gloss SPF 15: This SPF 15-infused gloss is packed with antioxidants to keep your lips looking young and feeling hydrated, while shielding them from the sun’s drying rays.
- Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Anti-Frizz Serum: Formulated with hydrating argan oil, this serum helps hair stand up to humidity. When strands are dehydrated, they literally lift off your head in an effort to suck moisture from the air—hence, frizz. The oil infuses hair with the moisture it needs, so it won’t become fuzzy in its quest for more.
- Maybelline Lash Stiletto Waterproof Mascara: The perfect mix of length and shine without any dreaded clumps. My lashes feel light and weightless—especially nice in summer, and it’s waterproof, so it won’t sweat or swim off!
What’s in your summer beauty survival kit?
—By Kelly Garner, beauty intern
Written on May 20, 2011 at 1:24 pm , by April Franzino
On the quest for the perfect mascara, we purchased new ones for over a decade, but no one really got it right—until CoverGirl launched LashBlast Fusion Volume + Length Mascara. The chubby wand gives us the lashes of our dreams: Super-long (people always ask if we have extensions), thick (it really magnifies every lash), and somehow clump-free, too. The formula doesn’t make it look like we’re wearing mascara, but like we were born with the longest, lushest fringe ever. Every mascara we’ve tested since—literally hundreds for our job—never measures up, and we’re always left longing for LashBlast. Have you found your perfect mascara?
Written on April 18, 2011 at 7:29 am , by Fitness Magazine
One of the perks of being the intern de jour is that you get to try out all the latest beauty loot. With full access to the overflowing beauty closet, I’ve found a number of must-have products that I swear by. Here, I’m dishing about which are worth the splurge and which of these bargain beauty products are just as good as their high-end counterparts.
STEAL: L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Million Lashes Mascara
I have always lusted after thicker lashes and seem to be on a never-ending search for the best volumizing mascara. When I caught wind of a product that boasted “millionizing lashes”, I had to try it for myself. To my delight, L’Oréal Paris Voluminous Million Lashes Mascara ($9) delivers exactly what is promised perfectly separated full lashes. This is a magic wand worth investing in!
SPLURGE: Givenchy Le Prisme Blush
Being a poor college student, I try to resist spending temptation, but when you love something this much it seems worth the splurge. Givenchy Le Prisme Blush ($44) is the perfect mix of colors to brighten up more than just my dull skin, but my whole day: When you look better, you feel better!
STEAL: John Frieda Root Awakening Hair Spray
After styling your hair, just a couple spritzes of John Frieda Root Awakening Non-Aerosol Hair Spray ($6.49) will keep it in place through the night. This lightweight, non-sticky spray is also enriched with vitamins that promote strong strands.
SPLURGE: Clinique Redness Solutions Targeted Corrector
This is my skin crisis go-to stick. I have tried tons of concealers, and nothing compares to this handy little wand. The yellow tint helps neutralize redness on blemishes and around your nose. Although it’s a tiny tube, a little of Clinique Redness Solutions Targeted Corrector ($19.50) goes a long way.
STEAL: Victoria’s Secret Minerals Lip Gloss in Bare
A swipe of gloss can work wonders, especially if you don’t have much time to spend on your makeup. One of my favorite finds in the beauty closet is Victoria’s Secret Minerals Lip Gloss in Bare ($10). It’s the perfect neutral hue to keep my look work-friendly yet pulled together.
—By Lindsay Richardson, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go | Tags: Beauty Steals, Best Beauty Products, Best Makeup, blush, cheeks, Clinique, concealer, Favorite Beauty Buys, gloss, hair, hairspray, John Frieda, L'Oreal, makeup, makeup must haves, mascara, skin, Victoria's Secret
Written on February 15, 2011 at 6:41 am , by Fitness Magazine
I don’t know about you, but all of this snow has me daydreaming about my spring vacation—which is now only a month away! Beach fantasizing has quickly evolved into planning out my beauty essentials for the perfect beachy look: Think small, packable items that pack a big beauty punch. Read on for the products I’m lusting after for the big trip, and steal some ideas for your vacation—or staycation!
Avoid a hairy situation. After a day at the beach, my nicely straightened hair usually expands in size—hello, frizz!—until I’m virtually unrecognizable to my friends. If you’re like me and the sun/sand/salt water mixture leaves your hair in a knot, a hair moisturizer is the only option. I’ll be packing Shu Uemura Essence Absolue Nourishing Protective Oil to keep my hair hydrated (and fuzz at bay), repair damage and shield my strands from UV rays.
Get your bronze on. Fake a believable getaway glow with this shimmery little gem: Smashbox Artificial Light Luminizing Lotion lends sun-kissed radiance while keeping my face moisturized. It’s not full-on bronze, so it works on winter-pale skin.
Get eye-catching color. For a pop of color on top of my newly glowing skin, I’ll be packing Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm. This magic crayon gives an effortless, fun vacation look while also keeping lips soft with mango and shea butters.
Avoid runoff. This trip, I won’t let annoying raccoon eyes put a damper on my ocean dips. I’ll be sticking with super-volumizing Yves Saint Laurent Everlong Waterproof Mascara to prevent the runoff. Bon voyage!
—By Lindsay Richardson, Beauty Intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Tried-It Tuesday | Tags: bronze, Clinique, eyes, Face, glow, hair, lips, mascara, shimmer, Shu Uemura, Smashbox, spring makeup, vacation beauty, vacation makeup, Yves Saint Laurent
Written on December 29, 2010 at 7:02 am , by Fitness Magazine
Mascara and exercise can be a tricky combo—sweat and water can melt away volumized lashes in a flash. Waterproof mascaras can be a pain to get off after a workout, so what’s a girl to do to maintain beautiful lashes at the gym? A new salon service called Lash Dip might be the answer for an active woman’s lifestyle. Each lash is coated with a jet-black sealer that holds for six weeks through water, sweat and tears, giving the look of mascara-ed lashes without the goop. Would you try this new lash treatment?
-Michelle Ernest, beauty intern
Written on October 22, 2010 at 12:23 pm , by Eleanor Langston
Michelle Phan is the most-watched makeup artist on YouTube, as well as Lancôme’s video makeup artist. I love her how-tos and easy-to-follow tutorials, so you guys should check out this clip on easy autumn makeup. I’m definitely going to try the trick where she uses a concealer brush to stabilize her eyelid when she puts on liner and mascara. So genius!
Written on October 21, 2010 at 10:38 am , by Fitness Magazine
I switch out beauty products like I switch out shoes—way too often. But the one product that has managed to stick around in my makeup bag is Maybelline New York Great Lash Clear Mascara. It goes on smooth, and never gets dry and flaky. I use it to tame my eyebrows, and under mascara as a base coat to make my lashes pop. My lashes are naturally curly and can go a little crazy on their own, so I use it alone during workouts to keep them groomed but natural. The best part: It’s under $5! What’s your favorite thrifty find?
-Kari LaPrade, beauty intern
Written on October 12, 2010 at 6:52 am , by Fitness Magazine
Lashes complete any makeup look, whether you’re going for dramatic or subtle. Try these easy (and cheap) tricks for gorgeous fringe:
- Use your blow dryer and eyelash curling together. Turn your blow dryer on to a medium setting and blast the heat onto your curler for 15 seconds. Then, use your eyelash curler as you normally would—your lashes will curl easier and look much more dramatic than with mascara alone.
- Just say no to clumps. Even the best mascaras begin to get clumpy after a few uses. Don’t give up on it just yet, though—run the closed tube under super-hot water to re-liquify the formula, then apply as usual.
- Wearing clear mascara under your usual tinted version can work as a base, adding thickness to your lashes. Having a base undercoat can also make the color appear darker, for a more dramatic effect. Be sure to let it dry thoroughly before applying the colored formula.
These tips work great alone—and are even better when combined. What’s your favorite lash trick?
-Kari LaPrade, beauty intern