Written on October 4, 2013 at 9:34 am , by Molly Ritterbeck
Have you ever toyed with the idea of getting a little Botox to help smooth that stubborn wrinkle across your forehead or asking your derm for a Latisse prescription in hopes of growing long, fluttery lashes but were too scared to take the plunge? Allergan, the pharmaceutical company behind these innovations is now offering two new beauty tools that allow consumers to virtually test out both Botox and Latisse. Here’s how they work. (And though we’re super-psyched about trying out these apps, we encourage you to talk to your doctor about whether these treatments are right for you.)
For the Line-Obsessed:
Botox Cosmetic iVisualizer Tool gives you a sneak peek at what your skin would look like if you got Botox. It only shows you the potential results for a treatment between the brows, but—good news—the FDA recently approved Botox for the treatment of crow’s feet as well. Simply click here and follow the instructions to snap a picture of yourself furrowing your brows (so your wrinkles pop) in a well-lit room. The program immediately generates a before and after picture. You can print your results and then consult with your doctor if you’re interested in pursuing the in-office treatment.
For the Lash-Obsessed:
Latisse iLash Studio helps you visualize how your lashes could look after using Latisse (the first FDA approved prescription to treat inadequate lashes) for 16 weeks. It’ll encourage you to think of questions you should ask your doctor when considering the treatment as well as offer you tips and other real women’s before and after lash photos. If you don’t currently have a doctor, the app can help you find one in your area. The app is for iPad users only (download it for free here) then snap a picture of yourself from above so your lashes are fully visible and watch the results change.Although this tool is for demonstrative purposes only and individual results vary, it’s fun to see how lush your lashes could look.
Written on August 9, 2013 at 9:00 am , by Fitness Magazine
Even the most beauty-obsessed girl can find herself in a routine rut. Shimmery champagne eye shadow, a bold winged cat eye and peachy-pink blush is my go-to beauty look, but let’s be honest—wearing the same shades day after day can get a bit boring. While I love to switch up my humdrum routine with a bright lip or smoky eye, I never even thought of messing with my classic beauty staple of black mascara until now. Maybelline New York Great Lash Mascara Limited Edition Collection ($7, drugstores) has upped the ante in the mascara game with six insanely gorgeous shades available only for the month of August. From Wink of Pink, a flirty bubblegum hue, to Green with Envy, a gorgeous grown-up emerald, these in-the-moment mascaras are sure to shake up your makeup look. While you might think these jewel-toned hues seem a bit much, I swear, they are subtle enough for office wear. Plus, they have the same lash-thickening formula that has landed the original version in every beauty maven’s makeup bag. My trick: I love to keep my eye makeup minimal and skip the shadow so these mascaras can take center stage.
—Karee Hackel, beauty intern
Written on September 26, 2011 at 1:50 pm , by April Franzino
Last week, Benefit Cosmetics opened the chandelier-clad doors of their flagship boutique in New York City’s SoHo neighborhood. When we arrived for our tour of the three-level beauty emporium, we were greeted by a display featuring the first-ever Benetint Rose-Tinted Lip & Cheek Stain (right) created 35 years ago from pressed rose petals by the brand’s founders Jean and Jane Ford. The precious original vial was transported via armored vehicle (!) from Benefit’s home base in San Francisco for the occasion.
The boutique not only stocks the brand’s full line of products, but is also home to an On the Spot! Beauty Bar, offering a full menu of primping services, including:
- Lash and brow threading, shaping, and tinting
- Face and body waxing
- Body and face airbrush tans
- Faux lash and makeup application
The best part: You can drop in at your leisure, no appointment necessary.
Benefit Boutique SoHo: 454 West Broadway between Prince & Houston St., New York City
Written on May 20, 2011 at 1:24 pm , by April Franzino
On the quest for the perfect mascara, we purchased new ones for over a decade, but no one really got it right—until CoverGirl launched LashBlast Fusion Volume + Length Mascara. The chubby wand gives us the lashes of our dreams: Super-long (people always ask if we have extensions), thick (it really magnifies every lash), and somehow clump-free, too. The formula doesn’t make it look like we’re wearing mascara, but like we were born with the longest, lushest fringe ever. Every mascara we’ve tested since—literally hundreds for our job—never measures up, and we’re always left longing for LashBlast. Have you found your perfect mascara?
Written on December 29, 2010 at 7:02 am , by Fitness Magazine
Mascara and exercise can be a tricky combo—sweat and water can melt away volumized lashes in a flash. Waterproof mascaras can be a pain to get off after a workout, so what’s a girl to do to maintain beautiful lashes at the gym? A new salon service called Lash Dip might be the answer for an active woman’s lifestyle. Each lash is coated with a jet-black sealer that holds for six weeks through water, sweat and tears, giving the look of mascara-ed lashes without the goop. Would you try this new lash treatment?
-Michelle Ernest, beauty intern
Written on November 30, 2010 at 6:35 am , by Fitness Magazine
Although I’ve only been an intern at FITNESS for two months, my bedroom has become a hoarder’s paradise. I have dedicated my weekends to bringing home and testing out the newest (and most promising) beauty products, eager to find which are worth the extra primping time. I’ve narrowed down my top five favorites, all of which live up their labels!
- Crest 3D Whitestrips: I know I’ve said before that I’m not a big fan of at-home whitening systems, but I can definitely make an exception for these. As promised, my teeth were noticeably whiter after just three days, and I experienced no pain or sensitivity.
- RapidLash: I’ve been using this product for a little over two weeks now, and already see an improvement in the length and thickness of my lashes! Since you only have to apply the serum once nightly, it’s the perfect easy and effective addition to your nightly beauty routine.
- Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque: My hair has never looked and felt as great as it did after using this weekly treatment. It smooths out dry ends and adds shine without weighing the hair down, leaving you with healthy, to-die-for hair.
- Laura Geller Eye Spackle: This lightweight eyeshadow primer glides onto your lids, and keeps shadow intact for the entire day. Zero reapplication required!
- Zeno Hot Spot: Although small, this mini blemish clearing device packs a lot of power! Use at the first sign of a pimple, and see results within an hour. This is one beauty tool I’ll keep around forever.
What are your favorite new beauty finds?
-Nina Ramadan, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Tried-It Tuesday | Tags: Beauty, Crest, eyeshadow, favorite, hair, lashes, laura geller, Macadamia Natural Oil, primer, products, Rapidlash, treatment, whitening, Zeno
Written on October 21, 2010 at 10:38 am , by Fitness Magazine
I switch out beauty products like I switch out shoes—way too often. But the one product that has managed to stick around in my makeup bag is Maybelline New York Great Lash Clear Mascara. It goes on smooth, and never gets dry and flaky. I use it to tame my eyebrows, and under mascara as a base coat to make my lashes pop. My lashes are naturally curly and can go a little crazy on their own, so I use it alone during workouts to keep them groomed but natural. The best part: It’s under $5! What’s your favorite thrifty find?
-Kari LaPrade, beauty intern
Written on October 12, 2010 at 6:52 am , by Fitness Magazine
Lashes complete any makeup look, whether you’re going for dramatic or subtle. Try these easy (and cheap) tricks for gorgeous fringe:
- Use your blow dryer and eyelash curling together. Turn your blow dryer on to a medium setting and blast the heat onto your curler for 15 seconds. Then, use your eyelash curler as you normally would—your lashes will curl easier and look much more dramatic than with mascara alone.
- Just say no to clumps. Even the best mascaras begin to get clumpy after a few uses. Don’t give up on it just yet, though—run the closed tube under super-hot water to re-liquify the formula, then apply as usual.
- Wearing clear mascara under your usual tinted version can work as a base, adding thickness to your lashes. Having a base undercoat can also make the color appear darker, for a more dramatic effect. Be sure to let it dry thoroughly before applying the colored formula.
These tips work great alone—and are even better when combined. What’s your favorite lash trick?
-Kari LaPrade, beauty intern