Last week, Benefit Cosmetics opened the chandelier-clad doors of their flagship boutique in New York City’s SoHo neighborhood. When we arrived for our tour of the three-level beauty emporium, we were greeted by a display featuring the first-ever Benetint Rose-Tinted Lip & Cheek Stain (right) created 35 years ago from pressed rose petals by the brand’s founders Jean and Jane Ford. The precious original vial was transported via armored vehicle (!) from Benefit’s home base in San Francisco for the occasion.
The boutique not only stocks the brand’s full line of products, but is also home to an On the Spot! Beauty Bar, offering a full menu of primping services, including:
- Lash and brow threading, shaping, and tinting
- Face and body waxing
- Body and face airbrush tans
- Faux lash and makeup application
The best part: You can drop in at your leisure, no appointment necessary.
Benefit Boutique SoHo: 454 West Broadway between Prince & Houston St., New York City
On the quest for the perfect mascara, we purchased new ones for over a decade, but no one really got it right—until CoverGirl launched LashBlast Fusion Volume + Length Mascara. The chubby wand gives us the lashes of our dreams: Super-long (people always ask if we have extensions), thick (it really magnifies every lash), and somehow clump-free, too. The formula doesn’t make it look like we’re wearing mascara, but like we were born with the longest, lushest fringe ever. Every mascara we’ve tested since—literally hundreds for our job—never measures up, and we’re always left longing for LashBlast. Have you found your perfect mascara?
Mascara and exercise can be a tricky combo—sweat and water can melt away volumized lashes in a flash. Waterproof mascaras can be a pain to get off after a workout, so what’s a girl to do to maintain beautiful lashes at the gym? A new salon service called Lash Dip might be the answer for an active woman’s lifestyle. Each lash is coated with a jet-black sealer that holds for six weeks through water, sweat and tears, giving the look of mascara-ed lashes without the goop. Would you try this new lash treatment?
-Michelle Ernest, beauty intern
Although I’ve only been an intern at FITNESS for two months, my bedroom has become a hoarder’s paradise. I have dedicated my weekends to bringing home and testing out the newest (and most promising) beauty products, eager to find which are worth the extra primping time. I’ve narrowed down my top five favorites, all of which live up their labels!
- Crest 3D Whitestrips: I know I’ve said before that I’m not a big fan of at-home whitening systems, but I can definitely make an exception for these. As promised, my teeth were noticeably whiter after just three days, and I experienced no pain or sensitivity.
- RapidLash: I’ve been using this product for a little over two weeks now, and already see an improvement in the length and thickness of my lashes! Since you only have to apply the serum once nightly, it’s the perfect easy and effective addition to your nightly beauty routine.
- Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque: My hair has never looked and felt as great as it did after using this weekly treatment. It smooths out dry ends and adds shine without weighing the hair down, leaving you with healthy, to-die-for hair.
- Laura Geller Eye Spackle: This lightweight eyeshadow primer glides onto your lids, and keeps shadow intact for the entire day. Zero reapplication required!
- Zeno Hot Spot: Although small, this mini blemish clearing device packs a lot of power! Use at the first sign of a pimple, and see results within an hour. This is one beauty tool I’ll keep around forever.
What are your favorite new beauty finds?
-Nina Ramadan, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Tried-It Tuesday | Tags: Beauty, Crest, eyeshadow, favorite, hair, lashes, laura geller, Macadamia Natural Oil, primer, products, Rapidlash, treatment, whitening, Zeno
I switch out beauty products like I switch out shoes—way too often. But the one product that has managed to stick around in my makeup bag is Maybelline New York Great Lash Clear Mascara. It goes on smooth, and never gets dry and flaky. I use it to tame my eyebrows, and under mascara as a base coat to make my lashes pop. My lashes are naturally curly and can go a little crazy on their own, so I use it alone during workouts to keep them groomed but natural. The best part: It’s under $5! What’s your favorite thrifty find?
-Kari LaPrade, beauty intern
Lashes complete any makeup look, whether you’re going for dramatic or subtle. Try these easy (and cheap) tricks for gorgeous fringe:
- Use your blow dryer and eyelash curling together. Turn your blow dryer on to a medium setting and blast the heat onto your curler for 15 seconds. Then, use your eyelash curler as you normally would—your lashes will curl easier and look much more dramatic than with mascara alone.
- Just say no to clumps. Even the best mascaras begin to get clumpy after a few uses. Don’t give up on it just yet, though—run the closed tube under super-hot water to re-liquify the formula, then apply as usual.
- Wearing clear mascara under your usual tinted version can work as a base, adding thickness to your lashes. Having a base undercoat can also make the color appear darker, for a more dramatic effect. Be sure to let it dry thoroughly before applying the colored formula.
These tips work great alone—and are even better when combined. What’s your favorite lash trick?
-Kari LaPrade, beauty intern