Written on August 19, 2013 at 9:32 am , by Molly Ritterbeck
We get it—you don’t want to carry your entire beauty arsenal around in your gym bag. Luckily it doesn’t take tons of tools to look sleek postworkout. Meet The Jet-Setter by Sarah Potempa ($99, joyus.com), a small but mighty four-inch iron (featured in the September issue of FITNESS, on stands now!) that clams frizz, straightens strands and smooths that annoying ponytail crease in a snap. No outlet? No problem—it’s rechargeable and cordless, and now you can get it (and anything else you toss in your cart) for an even bigger steal! Head to joyus.com and enter the code JETSET9 for 15% off your entire order now through August 30, 2013. Then, check out styling tips from the creator, celebrity hairstylist Sarah Potempa here.
Written on May 23, 2012 at 12:31 pm , by Fitness Magazine
This simple, chic style looks great both at the gym and on the town. As the warm weather approaches, it’s an easy way to keep your hair out of your face while still looking fresh and glam. All you need is a hair donut, two ponytail elastics and bobby pins to create the perfect bun.
- First, wrap your hair into a pony, securing it with an elastic. Go higher to create a ballerina-esque bun.
- Next, pull your hair through the donut. Tip: Choose one that’s close to your hair color.
- Then spread your hair evenly around the donut, covering it completely with your strands, and place the second elastic over the hair.
- For the final touch, lock any loose ends in place with bobby pins.
—By Wanda Rosa, beauty intern
Written on July 13, 2011 at 9:23 am , by Fitness Magazine
The height of summer is in full swing in New York City, and our hair’s been reacting in accordance (read: frizz, grease, and flyaways).
Thankfully, Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth Collection has come up with a foolproof style for your next getaway or day at the beach. Here’s to good hair days ahead!
- Before heading to the beach or the pool, wash and condition your hair thoroughly.
- Towel dry and put hair in a ponytail at the top of your head.
- Twist hair around the ponytail and secure in a spiraled bun.
- Spritz strands with a soft-touch hairspray.
- After your day in the sun, let the bun fall to form smooth waves, and finish with a mist of hairspray to keep locks in place.
—By Amanda Downs, beauty intern
Written on March 15, 2011 at 9:31 am , by Fitness Magazine
Simple and easy updos, perfect for those days when the alarm doesn’t go off or you hit the snooze button one too many times, are having a serious celebrity moment (check out our Fresh Hair feature in the April issue, out today, for the best gym-friendly options). Jessica Alba’s messy updo, above, is top notch: This effortlessly cool style can be twisted in a few seconds—push a headband over the front to smooth flyaways and make the look more polished.
If you’re a curly girl, the messy bun that both Annalynne McCord and Vanessa Hudgens sport is perfect for you. To get this look, pull your hair up into a loose bun and pull some tendrils free to finish it off. This is easygoing style will take your hair from frizzy to chic with time to spare!
Another celeb diving head first into the topknot trend is Kate Bosworth. Channeling her inner ballerina, Kate puts a more polished spin on the bun trend: Her look is elegant, yet fuss-free. This style works best on ladies with straight hair. Start by pulling your hair into a high, tight ponytail. Twist hair around the base of the ponytail and loosen the twist as you place it. Once you have perfected your bun, pin it in place (we love the Goody Spin Pin, a single pin—you may need two if you have a ton of hair—that miraculously, undetectably holds hair in place).
—By Lindsay Richardson, beauty intern