Written on July 5, 2013 at 10:00 am , by Fitness Magazine
I’m guilty of trying to stash my entire life into my purse. For beauty lovers like me, that includes nearly all of my makeup and a few of my favorite perfumes, which can really weigh me down. So whenever one of my go-to scents comes in a travel-friendly size, I make sure to stock up on it so I can keep the lightweight bottle in my purse or gym bag. One that I’m loving right now: Viva La Juicy Rollerball by Juicy Couture ($19, nordstrom.com). The fragrance smells amazing—with top notes of wild berries and juicy mandarin, it has a yummy sweetness that blends with light florals like honeysuckle, gardenia and jasmine. It’s pinky-size bottle fits almost anywhere—even a change purse or a clutch—so you can take it with you wherever you need to go and it’s perfect for touch ups throughout the day. Now, if only I can find mini versions of everything else in my purse!
—Katelyn Blough, beauty intern
Written on January 10, 2013 at 11:29 am , by Fitness Magazine
Compiling the ultimate beauty-equipped gym bag can be tricky, especially if you exercise before work or during your lunch break. Here’s a roundup of products that keep my bag light while still meeting all of my beauty needs.
I wash my hair only a few times each week, but sometimes I’m left with no choice (like after Spinning). Bumble and bumble’s Be Color Minded Kit ($28, Sephora) is great for dire-wash situations since the 2-ounce shampoo, conditioner and styling balm are all free of sulfates and harsh chemicals that can dry out hair when used often. And for days when my hair needs a little pick-me-up, dry shampoo is my hero. I keep a mini can of Redken Powder Refresh 01 ($8, redken.com for salons) in my bag at all times. I love that it adds volume with leaving an annoying white residue.
If your gym’s locker room doesn’t provide a blow dryer, look for a lightweight folding one, such as the X5 Superlite Mini Nano Tourmaline & Ionic Dual Voltage Travel Dryer ($49.99, Folica.com). This packs a surprisingly powerful blast despite its small size.
Moisturizing after a shower is an absolute must (especially during the winter months), so I always make sure to keep mini bottles of body lotion on hand. Burt’s Bees Naturally Nourishing Milk & Honey Body Lotion costs only $1.99 (burtsbees.com) for the travel size and leaves skin super soft. It smells fresh, and its lightweight formula won’t leave your skin slick or sticky.
If you don’t want to bring your entire stash of makeup with you, invest in an interchangeable palette, like Bobbi Brown 3-Pan Palette ($10, Bobbibrown.com), which allows you to swap out blush and shadow colors according to your look that day. And, if you have any contact lens cases lying around, here’s a trick: fill one side with your favorite face cream and the other with foundation. This way, you don’t have to miss out on your must-haves in order to downsize.
—Jillian Ruffo, beauty intern
Written on July 6, 2011 at 9:35 am , by April Franzino
We took a Spin class last week with fellow FITNESS editors, which made us wonder what beauty goods they tote along with them. Here’s the one product that never leaves these FITNESS ladies’ gym bags:
- “Lip balm! My lips tend to get dry during my workout, so lip balm keeps them kissable. I love Burt’s Bees Replenishing Lip Balm with Pomegranate Oil- it smells delicious!” —Theresa K. Brady, editorial intern
- “La Fresh Instant Body Soother Wipes—they’re the perfect way to cool off and freshen up right after a workout. I wipe one over my neck, face, and shoulders for a quick pick-me-up, and keep a stash in my purse for sticky summer days.”—Colleen Moody, web editor
- “Neutrogena Deep Clean Sport On-the-Go Cleansing Wipes take up no space in my gym bag, thanks to individual packets. I use one wipe before and one after my workouts.”—Amanda Downs, beauty intern
- “Face moisturizer—gyms usually have body lotion, but not the good stuff for your face! It also helps with clearing off any leftover eyeliner if the shower didn’t do the trick.”—Mary Anderson, deputy editor
- “I can’t head to the gym without my Dove Clinical Protection Visibly Smooth Antiperspirant/Deodorant Solid in Wild Rose. It keeps me smelling fresh without the clumpy residue.”—Lauren Cardarelli, editorial intern
- “My face lotion! After a sweaty SoulCycle session, I always need to jump in the shower and rinse off. I don’t go anywhere without my La Roche-Posay face lotion with SPF. It’s smooth, light, and comes in a nice travel size. “—Jenna Autuori, fitness editor
What beauty product never leaves your gym bag?