Written on May 3, 2012 at 3:09 pm , by April Franzino
Last weekend, I jetted across the country to California (tough job, I know!) to check out the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort and its Pacific Waters Spa, taking part in the resort’s Wellness Retreat. The daylong hybrid healthy-lifestyle and pampering program includes:
- A 60-minute wellness consultation, where they tailor the day to your needs and give you a private fitness assessment
- A 30-minute fitness activity
- Spa cuisine lunch (The fruit and vegetable-heavy, locally-sourced menu offerings are both good-for-you and delicious— we swear.)
- Two (!) 60-minute spa services (We recommend the super-indulgent Pacific Waters Rhythmic Massage and leaving time to soak in the jacuzzi, lounge in the cozy relaxation room, and sweat it out in the spacious sauna.)
The spa offers treatments using products from locally-sourced, handmade and USDA organic-certified Kimberly Parry Organics. Our favorites were the Body Oil in Ocean blended exclusively for the spa (a unique mix of lime, lavender, basil and fir essential oils) used during the massage, and the intoxicating lemongrass and ylang ylang-scented Soft Hand and Foot Balm infused with a healing combination of shea butter, olive, coconut and jojoba oils that we took home and can’t stop applying.
Tell us: Have you gone on a spa wellness retreat or are you planning one? If so, where to and what did you think of it?
Categories: Beauty On the Go | Tags: CA, Facial, Fitness, Huntington Beach, Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa, Kmberly Parry Organics, manicure, massage, Pacific Waters Spa, pedicure, spa, treatment, wellness retreat, working out
Written on October 25, 2011 at 9:31 am , by April Franzino
A few months back, we were lucky enough to choose, name, and get an exclusive advanced launch of a lipstick from Make Up For Ever’s Rouge Artist Natural line of hydrating, sheer, easy-to-wear lip colors. First, the Beauty Department narrowed 50 shade options down to a single skin-brightening, looks-great-on-all red. Then, staffers brainstormed countless ideas for names and we conducted a vote to come up with the winner: FITNESS Red-y, Set, Go!, which reflects both the dynamic, active nature of the magazine and the vibrant, universally-flattering crimson hue. Check out the shade, right, and the full story on page 39 of our November/December issue, on newsstands today. Pucker up!
Order Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Natural in #45 FITNESS Red-y, Set, Go! ($19) by calling 877-757-5175; look for the rest of the collection (50 shades total) in stores this spring.
Written on August 2, 2011 at 3:08 pm , by April Franzino
- “Strangers compliment my hazel eyes, which are an unusual blend of auburn and green. They make me feel unique—plus, they don’t require strenuous upkeep!” —Danielle Paquette, editorial intern
- “I love the way my legs are feeling these days—super-strong, toned and lean. I have really long legs and I love highlighting them now that running and Spinning has helped them look so fabulous!” —Samantha Shelton, freelance editorial assistant
- “I’m most proud of my skin. After years of fighting acne, I’ve finally figured out a skincare routine and developed healthy habits to have a clear, smooth complexion.” —Marianne Magno, assistant web editor
- “Someone once told me I have nice hands because my nails are always manicured and my hands are soft. I never thought it was something to be proud of until I realized that a handshake is a huge part of a first impression!” —Theresa K. Brady, editorial intern
- “I love my naturally curly/wavy hair. I used to straighten it to rid myself of the curls I thought I was doomed with. But since training for marathons, triathlons, and testing classes requires me to constantly throw my hair into a ponytail or leave it natural after a gym shower, I’ve had to embrace my curly hair—and have even learned to love it.” —Jenna Autuori, fitness editor
- “My smile! My mom has the same goofy grin and it reminds me of her many times when I look in the mirror.” —Karla Walsh, editorial assistant
As for me, I love my skin—which is finally clear after a decade of battling both acne and eczema simultaneously—and my hair, which blessedly air-dries into decent-looking waves.
Tell us: What feature are you most proud of?
Written on July 11, 2011 at 10:57 am , by Fitness Magazine
Carrots aren’t just a tasty snack: They’re also amazing for your skin. Because of their high levels of beta-carotene and vitamin A, these orange veggies flush out toxins that are damaging to your complexion, and contain phytochemicals that nourish and hydrate. A recent study from the University of Bristol in England also found that eating golden-pigmented vegetables and fruits like carrots gives your skin a more desirable glow than spending time in the sun. Researchers evaluated the skin color of people in relation to what they eat, and found that those whose diets included more veggies and fruits had a more golden skin color. Those with this golden glow had higher levels of carotenoids, yellow and red antioxidants produced in plants like carrots, in their skin. The researchers then had participants rate the attractiveness of faces enhanced by carotenoids versus sun-tanned faces, and others preferred the glow produced by fruits and veggies to the sun-induced tan. Even more incentive to snack!
—By Kelly Garner, beauty intern
Written on June 14, 2011 at 10:10 am , by Fitness Magazine
Last week we had the privilege to sit down with Olympic silver and gold medal-winning runner Allyson Felix to discuss everything beauty and fitness! Sweeter than words, the world-champion runner is volunteering to mentor for the winner of the ACUVUE Brand Contact Lenses 1-DAY Contest (click the link for information on how to enter). Felix said she trades in her glasses for 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST contacts in order to feel comfortable during her workouts and competitions. Here’s a peek at our conversation:
—By Amanda Downs, beauty intern
Written on June 8, 2011 at 9:33 am , by April Franzino
Yesterday we had the pleasure of sitting down with Mad Men star Christina Hendricks in her Manhattan hotel suite to discuss everything from lipstick to that gorgeous pale skin (she’s absolutely stunning and so sweet in person!) to her workout regimen. Hendricks is supporting the Latisse Wishes Challenge, which allows consumers to donate a minimum of $20 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, which LATISSE then matches, working toward a goal of donating $500,000. Take a peek at our conversation:
Written on May 17, 2011 at 6:55 am , by April Franzino
Are you curious about the day-to-day lives of FITNESS’s beauty editors? Follow us on Twitter @FITNESSbty for the latest breaking beauty news, inside scoop on industry events and goings-on, and an exclusive (sometimes hilarious!) peek into our world. See you there!
Written on March 16, 2011 at 10:58 am , by April Franzino
For the first time ever, FITNESS Magazine is available for purchase on the iPad! We’ve worked hard to make the digital edition a special experience: In the beauty section, you’ll get exclusive video tutorials and behind-the-scenes footage from our photo shoots. Plus, you can follow along to videos of our workouts wherever you are! Purchase the April issue for $2.99 here.
Written on January 24, 2011 at 7:13 am , by April Franzino
Written on December 20, 2010 at 10:13 am , by Fitness Magazine
At the Paul Mitchell Red Carpet Event, we sat down with Julie Solwold, Vice President of Event Marketing for Paul Mitchell. Listen in as she talks about the importance of beauty from the inside out and why the company loves to work with athletes:
-Kari LaPrade, beauty intern