I usually opt for shimmery nude shadows for my everyday look—they’re subtle yet they still highlight and define my eyes. Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color Eye Shadow in Shimmering Taupe ($19, elizabetharden.com) is a perfect go-to shade. The gray-brown color coordinates with nearly every blush and lipcolor combo imaginable and the soft pearlescent finish has just the right amount of sophisticated sparkle. I use it all over my lids, or along my crease to add depth to my look.
I stumbled across this eye makeup gem while perusing how-to makeup YouTube videos. No matter who I was watching, from young girls to seasoned pros, nearly everyone seemed to be using this shadow primer, so I had to try it. I did, and I haven’t stopped using it since. It sounds dramatic to say that the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Eden ($20, urbandecay.com) can change your life but it comes pretty darn close! It transforms any shadow into a super long-wear, totally crease-free color. I put it on in the morning—yes, it’s an extra, but worth it, step—and my makeup doesn’t budge all day. I tap it on my lids and up to the brow bone until I feel it dry down to a matte finish then I layer over my regular eye shadow. I’ve even started using it under my eyes as well to help hold my concealer in place.
- BLUSH = EYE SHADOW Use an eye shadow brush to sweep blush over your eyelids for a pretty, monochromatic look.
- CONCEALER = EYE & LIP PRIMER Neutralize the ruddy pink tones of eyelids and lips with a light layer of your regular concealer: The colors you apply on top with appear truer and last longer.
- EYE SHADOW = HIGHLIGHTER Blend a light-colored neutral cream eye shadow (think champagne or gold), such as CoverGirl Intense ShadowBlast in Beige Blaze, on the tops of cheekbones, cupid’s bow, inner corners of the eyes and under the brows for a believable glow.
- LIP BALM OR LIPSTICK = CHEEK & EYE ENHANCER In a pinch, dab tinted lip balm or lipstick on cheeks and eyes—they can double as a cream blush and eye shadow. Use a clear balm to add a touch of healthy sheen.
Source: Pat McGrath, creative design director for Procter & Gamble Beauty
And my own creation: Layer lip balm, a rose, pinky-nude or mauve-hued eye shadow, and top with clear lip gloss for a custom-created lip color.
—By Wanda Rosa, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Makeup Musts, Save-A-Minute Secrets | Tags: blush, brush, concealer, CoverGirl, double duty, eye and lip primer, eye shadow, eyeshadow, highlighter, lip balm, Lipstick, makeup, money-saving, Pat McGrath, space-saving, unconventional
From the Golden Globes to the Oscars and everything in between, award season is in full swing. Although most of us watch the shows in our pajamas and not Prada, that doesn’t mean we can’t look like the stars at home. Stila for E! Live From the Red Carpet Palettes were inspired by celebs, but the convenient packaging is perfect for girls on the go. Each set includes everything you need for a glamorous night out, including a step-by-step application guide from celebrity makeup artist Sarah Lucero. Play up the Breathtaking Beauty Palette for a dramatic look, or use the natural colors for a fresh and flawless daytime face. Who are you most excited to see on the red carpet this year?
—Catherine Q. O’Neill, contributing blogger
Although I’ve only been an intern at FITNESS for two months, my bedroom has become a hoarder’s paradise. I have dedicated my weekends to bringing home and testing out the newest (and most promising) beauty products, eager to find which are worth the extra primping time. I’ve narrowed down my top five favorites, all of which live up their labels!
- Crest 3D Whitestrips: I know I’ve said before that I’m not a big fan of at-home whitening systems, but I can definitely make an exception for these. As promised, my teeth were noticeably whiter after just three days, and I experienced no pain or sensitivity.
- RapidLash: I’ve been using this product for a little over two weeks now, and already see an improvement in the length and thickness of my lashes! Since you only have to apply the serum once nightly, it’s the perfect easy and effective addition to your nightly beauty routine.
- Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque: My hair has never looked and felt as great as it did after using this weekly treatment. It smooths out dry ends and adds shine without weighing the hair down, leaving you with healthy, to-die-for hair.
- Laura Geller Eye Spackle: This lightweight eyeshadow primer glides onto your lids, and keeps shadow intact for the entire day. Zero reapplication required!
- Zeno Hot Spot: Although small, this mini blemish clearing device packs a lot of power! Use at the first sign of a pimple, and see results within an hour. This is one beauty tool I’ll keep around forever.
What are your favorite new beauty finds?
-Nina Ramadan, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Tried-It Tuesday | Tags: Beauty, Crest, eyeshadow, favorite, hair, lashes, laura geller, Macadamia Natural Oil, primer, products, Rapidlash, treatment, whitening, Zeno