Written on July 13, 2011 at 9:23 am , by Fitness Magazine
The height of summer is in full swing in New York City, and our hair’s been reacting in accordance (read: frizz, grease, and flyaways).
Thankfully, Herbal Essences Touchably Smooth Collection has come up with a foolproof style for your next getaway or day at the beach. Here’s to good hair days ahead!
- Before heading to the beach or the pool, wash and condition your hair thoroughly.
- Towel dry and put hair in a ponytail at the top of your head.
- Twist hair around the ponytail and secure in a spiraled bun.
- Spritz strands with a soft-touch hairspray.
- After your day in the sun, let the bun fall to form smooth waves, and finish with a mist of hairspray to keep locks in place.
—By Amanda Downs, beauty intern
Written on March 24, 2011 at 9:30 am , by Fitness Magazine
When mother nature lashes out, our locks are the first to act up. Instead of going into hiding when the forecast isn’t hair-friendly, weather-proof your strands with these smart tips from Jet Rhys, colorist and co-owner of an eponymous salon in San Diego, CA:
- Snow & Rain On wet days, avoid using styling products like waxes and gels. If the rain or snow dampens your mane, your hair will become sticky and flat. Prevent a hair meltdown by using a cream-based leave-in conditioner (not oil-based) instead.
- Chilly & Cold Cold air can cause strands to dry out and become staticky fast. Spray your styling brush with Static Guard before brushing to keep strands at bay and prevent pouf.
- Warm & Sunny Scorching heat and sun can do bad, bad things to a girl’s hair. Humidity has a tendency to bring out curls and full-on frizz. “Don’t fight it, work with it,” Rhys says. Wear your curls, waves and newfound volume proudly. If you want a smoother style, combat fuzz all day by making sure you dry your strands thoroughly—otherwise, the remaining moisture will turn into frizz.
—By Lindsay Richardson, beauty intern