Written on November 25, 2013 at 2:10 pm , by Molly Ritterbeck
Calling all curly-haired girls! We know styling your spirals can sometimes be a bit of a challenge (frizzy flyaways, crunchy strands, too tight curls, etc.). It takes a lot of experimenting to find the right formula for curls that’ll give you a perfect hair day. One of our faves: Ouidad Curl Recovery Whipped Curls Daily Conditioner & Styling Primer ($26, ouidad.com). Not only will this mousse-like product keep your strands soft and supple to the touch, it has a combo of olive oil, shea butter and glycerin to moisturize and nourish your hair for frizz-free shine. But if you’re in need of some serious deep hydration, you can opt for the Ouidad Curl Recovery Curl Defining Styling Soufflé ($26, ouidad.com). This formula is a bit thicker with Mafura butter and melon seed oil. It’ll melt into each curl to strengthen and repair damage. Plus, it smells like sweet butter—yum! But don’t take it from us. Find out for yourself. We teamed up with the curl experts at Ouidad to bring you this special offer: now through December 31st, you can get 15% off your entire order on ouidad.com. Just type in the exclusive code: FITNESS13 at checkout and watch the prices drop. Happy shopping (and happy hair days to come)!
Written on March 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm , by Fitness Magazine
For most of my life, I wanted to be one of the girls whose hair naturally air-dries straight. Instead, mine would morph into a huge, curly pouf! Growing up, I spent countless hours in front of a mirror straightening my hair, not to mention the hundreds of dollars testing different products. Here, the regimen that helped me drop the heat styling tools and learn to love my curls:
- Suds up with a sulfate-free shampoo. Most shampoos contain harsh detergents that can strip the hair of hydrating natural oils. We love Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating Shampoo to cleanse strands while maintaining the protective lipid barrier.
- Instead of conditioner, slather a rich treatment mask all over locks every time you shower and leave on for at least five minutes before rinsing. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Hair Mask turns straw-like tendrils into springy, silky curls.
- Work a leave-in conditioner liberally through locks to tame frizz and define curls. Choose a cream-based formula, like Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner, for maximum hydration.
—By Wanda Rosa, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Hair Helpers | Tags: curls, curly hair, Frizz, hair, Macadamia Natural Oil Rejuvenating Shampoo, Mixed Chicks Leave In Conditioner, Moisture, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask, protein, strands
Written on September 24, 2010 at 1:39 pm , by Eleanor Langston
Want a new style to sport this season or simply need to freshen up your hair? We turned to Kimberly Rothamel Morgan at Bob Steele Salon in Atlanta for her top strand secrets:
1. If your hair is straight, have your stylist add some face-framing layers that start above your cheekbone or about an inch above your jawline if you want to be able to tuck your hair behind your ears (crucial for working out!). This will enhance your bone structure and refresh your hair for fall.
2. If your hair is curly, define your ringlets with a moisturizing curl cream, such as Redken Fresh Curls Curl Refiner . You’ll need to adjust the amount of product you need according to your length: chin-length or above = two dime-sized doses, shoulder-length = three dime-sized doses, below your shoulders = three to four dime-sized doses. The key to the smoothest application? Flip your hair over for the first dose and then back up to do the next dose for the most even coverage. Then, blow-dry your hair with a diffuser or air-dry.
3. Healthy hair equals gorgeous hair. After a summer of chlorine, sun, salt and sand, you need to give your hair some TLC. Schedule a trim and use a deep-conditioning treatment or mask once a week to bring your hair back to life.