Written on January 4, 2012 at 10:38 am , by Fitness Magazine
Since arriving in chilly, arid New York City from Mississippi a few weeks ago, I’ve been plagued by flaky, parched skin and chapped lips. So I grilled dermatologist Joshua Zeichner, M.D., Director of Cosmetic & Clinical Research at the Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City, for his best tips on fighting climate-induced dryness:
- Thicken up your skincare routine by choosing a moisturizer that’s one level heavier than what you normally use. If you usually go for a gel formula, try a lotion; if you normally use a lotion, try a cream; and if your go-to is a cream, try a balm, salve or oil.
- Even your ears need a little TLC in the winter, because they’re often exposed to the elements: Apply the same product you use for your face on your ears as well.
- Don’t neglect your lips! Your lips have fewer oil glands than other parts of your body, so they’re highly susceptible to cracking and sun damage. Slather on a lip balm with SPF, Nivea A Kiss of Protection Lip Care SPF 30, every day.
- Using antibacterial gels and frequent hand-washing during flu season can cause dry skin. Help your hands by hydrating with a thick cream such as Crabtree & Evelyn Rosewater Ultra-Moisturising Hand Therapy after each wash. For severe dryness, cover your hands and feet with petroleum jelly followed by gloves or socks before bed to help skin heal overnight.
- Skip the soap: It can strip the body of oil and dehydrate skin. Try a moisturizing body wash like Neosporin Moisture Essentials Daily Body Wash that will gently cleanse dry skin.
- Super-hot showers feel great during the winter, but the heat can break down the skin’s lipid barrier. Prevent damage by taking cool or lukewarm baths.
—By Leah Cayson, beauty intern
Written on April 29, 2011 at 11:44 am , by April Franzino
You might not be able to have a bite of the royal wedding cake, but you can slick on storied British brand Crabtree & Evelyn’s delectable Vanilla Créme Brûlée Lip Butter. The extra creamy shea-butter based formula tastes and smells true-to-life, like a decadent dessert—minus the calories!—and leaves behind just a hint of sheen. A treat truly fit for a princess!