Written on September 30, 2013 at 10:46 am , by Fitness Magazine
As women, we know the power of a confidence boost, whether it’s receiving a compliment on your new haircut or the rush you feel after dominating your morning run. But for some young girls, feeling confident doesn’t come easy, especially during those tough adolescent years. In fact, 6 out of 10 girls stop doing what they love because of anxiety about their looks. That’s why Dove is reaching out to the next generation of women with the “Let’s Make Girls Unstoppable” program to empower girls and inspire killer confidence.
As part of the program, Dove is kicking off their 4th Annual “Self-Esteem Weekend” on October 3rd through October 6th for girls in New York City. The weekend will include workshops lead by Self-Esteem Ambassador, Jess Weiner, an inspiring mix of songs from DJ Diamond Kuts and a custom menu from a top young chef, Kid Chef Eliana. For more information on the NYC event, click here.
Dove is also launching their first-ever limited edition “Confidence is Beautiful” Self-Esteem product collection (including the classic, moisturizing formulas of bar soap, body wash and deodorant we love) available exclusively at Walmart stores this September, which supports self-esteem programming for Girl Scouts, Boys & Girls Clubs, and Girls Inc. to make sure they reach at least 15 million girls by the year 2015. If you are not in the NYC area, you can find your local self-esteem workshop at www.dove.com/girlsunstoppable.com. Confidence is contagious; so let’s help pass it around!
—Chelsea Burns, beauty intern
Written on August 2, 2011 at 3:08 pm , by April Franzino
- “Strangers compliment my hazel eyes, which are an unusual blend of auburn and green. They make me feel unique—plus, they don’t require strenuous upkeep!” —Danielle Paquette, editorial intern
- “I love the way my legs are feeling these days—super-strong, toned and lean. I have really long legs and I love highlighting them now that running and Spinning has helped them look so fabulous!” —Samantha Shelton, freelance editorial assistant
- “I’m most proud of my skin. After years of fighting acne, I’ve finally figured out a skincare routine and developed healthy habits to have a clear, smooth complexion.” —Marianne Magno, assistant web editor
- “Someone once told me I have nice hands because my nails are always manicured and my hands are soft. I never thought it was something to be proud of until I realized that a handshake is a huge part of a first impression!” —Theresa K. Brady, editorial intern
- “I love my naturally curly/wavy hair. I used to straighten it to rid myself of the curls I thought I was doomed with. But since training for marathons, triathlons, and testing classes requires me to constantly throw my hair into a ponytail or leave it natural after a gym shower, I’ve had to embrace my curly hair—and have even learned to love it.” —Jenna Autuori, fitness editor
- “My smile! My mom has the same goofy grin and it reminds me of her many times when I look in the mirror.” —Karla Walsh, editorial assistant
As for me, I love my skin—which is finally clear after a decade of battling both acne and eczema simultaneously—and my hair, which blessedly air-dries into decent-looking waves.
Tell us: What feature are you most proud of?