Written on March 9, 2012 at 11:39 am , by April Franzino
We love makeup that multitasks— and the classic, glamorous ritual of using rouge on your lips and cheeks. Both come together in the portable pot of RMS Beauty Lip2Cheek in Modest. The highly-pigmented, true-rose cream imparts a vibrant, just-frolicked-in-the-fields flush, stays put, and contains a laundry list of skin-loving ingredients like argan oil and shea butter. It stashes discreetly in your purse or gym bag— the only makeup you need to enhance your postworkout flush and look polished in seconds.
Tell us: What’s your go-to double duty makeup product?
Written on April 20, 2011 at 10:02 am , by April Franzino
In our May 2011 “A Smarter Shampoo” Get Gorgeous section opener, hairstylist River Lloyd of the John Frieda Salon in New York City explains that the chlorine and chemicals in your shower water may be hurting your hair—but that a shower filter can remedy the problem. Here, three tell-tale signs that your shower water may be damaging your strands:
1. Your hair “steams” when it’s heated under a blowdryer.
2. When it’s damp, your hair has a slight “wet-dog” smell to it.
3. Even after a proper blowout, your hair still feels tangled.
Do any of these sound familiar? If so, you may want to consider attaching a shower filter to your showerhead: They remove up to 91 percent of chlorine, leaving your strands softer, smoother, and more manageable, and keeping your color truer longer, Lloyd says.
Written on March 30, 2011 at 11:27 am , by Fitness Magazine
FAIR: You can pull off a bright pink, such as cult classic NARS Semi-Matte Lipstick in Schiap.
MEDIUM/OLIVE: Go for a juicy tangerine or coral hue like Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture in (13) Le Orange.
DARK: Choose a brown-based brick red such as Bobbi Brown Lip Color in Burnt Red.
Most important of all: Find a hue you truly love, and you’ll have the confidence to rock it. And remember to turn down the volume on the rest of your face (read: keep your eye and face makeup neutral), since you want your lips to be the star. What’s your favorite bold lip look?
Written on November 9, 2010 at 10:31 am , by April Franzino
Could all the beauty products you need be packed into three little sticks? If you ask model and former makeup artist Cindy Joseph, the answer is yes. Her line, Boom! by Cindy Joseph, consists of just three pocket-sized twist-up sticks, perfect for tossing in your gym bag and dabbing on-the-go:
- Boomstick Glo (below, right): A hydrating olive oil and beeswax balm formulated by Cindy’s beekeeper friend in Hawaii that can be used on cuticles, lips or face. This one has earned a spot in my (very-crowded) purse!
- Boomstick Color (below, middle): A berry hue for lips, cheeks and eyes that flatters all skin tones—it’s based on a shade she mixed at photo shoots and used on the full spectrum of celebs and models, from Uma Thurman to Naomi Campbell.
- Boomstick Glimmer (below, left): A subtle shimmer highlighter that can be used to accentuate cheekbones, brighten up the inner corners of eyes or layer on lips for a more dressed-up look.
Talk about a streamlined routine! What beauty essentials do you tote every day?