- BLUSH = EYE SHADOW Use an eye shadow brush to sweep blush over your eyelids for a pretty, monochromatic look.
- CONCEALER = EYE & LIP PRIMER Neutralize the ruddy pink tones of eyelids and lips with a light layer of your regular concealer: The colors you apply on top with appear truer and last longer.
- EYE SHADOW = HIGHLIGHTER Blend a light-colored neutral cream eye shadow (think champagne or gold), such as CoverGirl Intense ShadowBlast in Beige Blaze, on the tops of cheekbones, cupid’s bow, inner corners of the eyes and under the brows for a believable glow.
- LIP BALM OR LIPSTICK = CHEEK & EYE ENHANCER In a pinch, dab tinted lip balm or lipstick on cheeks and eyes—they can double as a cream blush and eye shadow. Use a clear balm to add a touch of healthy sheen.
Source: Pat McGrath, creative design director for Procter & Gamble Beauty
And my own creation: Layer lip balm, a rose, pinky-nude or mauve-hued eye shadow, and top with clear lip gloss for a custom-created lip color.
—By Wanda Rosa, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Makeup Musts, Save-A-Minute Secrets | Tags: blush, brush, concealer, CoverGirl, double duty, eye and lip primer, eye shadow, eyeshadow, highlighter, lip balm, Lipstick, makeup, money-saving, Pat McGrath, space-saving, unconventional
This morning, I visited the Phyto Haircare Phyto Universe treatment center in New York City for a hair and scalp consultation—an especially scary prospect when I haven’t shampooed in almost four days! Luckily, the hair expert when easy on me. See the photos of my scalp and hair magnified 200x below:
A few healthy hair pointers I picked up during my consultation:
- Before washing your hair, give yourself a mini scalp massage with a paddle brush to loosen any buildup.
- For maximum shine, use a clarifying shampoo in place of your regular formula once a month.
- To repair and hydrate dry ends like mine, keep a lightweight leave-in cream on hand and lightly smooth over them daily.
Staying fresh and put together during a marathon, time-crunched day can be a challenge—but not to worry, FITNESS is here to help! Here are a few of my favorite ways to look and feel great on the go, no matter what my busy schedule has in store:
- Hydrate your face. Rehydrate your skin in a dry, stuffy office or classroom with a mist of purified water. We like Evian Mineral Water Spray; it releases a light, invigorating mist that won’t disturb your makeup. Or fill a spray bottle with water and add a few drops of your favorite essential oil for an even more moisturizing, therapeutic treat.
- Beat the tangles. All that running around can leave your hair a tangled mess. Carry a compact brush with mirror that folds to fit in your bag- we love Sephora Collection Printed Pop-Up Brush, decked in a supercute bee pattern. Just running the brush through locks a couple times can bring them back to life; to add volume, brush the roots up and back.
- Freshen up. It seems simple, but one of my favorite ways to feel refreshed is to brush my teeth—something about the clean feeling gives me an ultimate boost. I keep a travel toothbrush and toothpaste in my purse for a mid-day touch up. On days when I’m really crunched for time, I pull out a Colgate Wisp, a miniature toothbrush with built-in paste.
-Kari LaPrade, contributing blogger