Written on August 16, 2011 at 9:45 am , by April Franzino
Earlier this month, we reported that a woman spends more than $150,000 on beauty over the course of her life. We asked FITNESS editors what beauty product or treatment they spend the most cash on.
- “On a college student’s budget, manicures/pedicures can be seen as a splurge, but nothing beats a nice foot massage after a tough exam or deadline crunch! Looking down at a coat of fresh polish simply puts a spring in my step, which makes it worth every penny.” —Lauren Cardarelli, editorial intern
- “Definitely a facial! My skin never looks better for days upon days after getting one. And it’s the most noticeable part of your body, so why not give it the extra TLC. It’s like going in for a dentist checkup for me: Your face needs the same checkup as well.” —Jenna Autuori, fitness editor
- “My beauty splurge is Benefit lipsticks. I hate the feeling of sticky lipgloss, and regular lipstick can be too dry. But Benefit’s lipsticks give glossy moisture and color all at once! Totally worth the cost.” —Alyson Kaufman, sittings intern
- “My biggest beauty splurge is my haircut. There are definitely cheaper options available, but I’m willing to spend more because I have complete trust in my stylist who knows exactly what I want: A cut that makes my thick hair manageable and looks great air-dried. I’ve had way too many disappointing haircuts with other stylists to ever dare going somewhere else!” —Marianne Magno, assistant web editor
Tell us: What pricey beauty product or treatment do you indulge in?
Written on February 17, 2011 at 11:41 am , by Fitness Magazine
Famed makeup artist Charlotte Tilbury once called eyebrows “the pillars of the face.” And the Fashion Week gods agree: We’ve been seeing full, thick arches all over the fall runways. Here, a few tips for getting your best brows:
- Always get a professional brow shaping and be specific with the technician about what shape you want (bring a photo of your favorite brow look if that helps), then use a tweezer like Tweezerman Slant Tweezer to grab strays in between visits. Money-saving bonus: Tweezerman offers free sharpening for life when you purchase their tweezers.
- Then, use a powder or soft pencil (such as Anastasia Go Brow Universal Brow Pencil or Benefit Brow Zings Kit) in light, feathery motions to fill in any sparse spots for a full, perfectly-shaped look.
- Slick a bit of brow gel over hairs keep them in line—both tinted and clear versions do the trick.
- Finish with a dab of highlighter, like Smashbox Eye Beam Double-Ended Brightener, under browbones to conceal any strays and give arches a flattering lift.
—By Maite Gonzalez, beauty intern
Written on February 8, 2011 at 6:48 am , by Fitness Magazine
Lately I’ve been on the hunt for beauty products that make me look great but are space-saving, easy and quick to use—and even save time when I’m in a big rush. These prettifying finds fit the bill:
- Benefit Benetint is a great two-in-one product that I’ve loved for years. This rose tinted stain is perfect for a flush of color on the cheeks and lips—all you need is a dot in each spot.
- Sephora’s Double-Ended Perfect Complexion Brush is a brush I recently picked up and have been using every day since. One side of the brush is a blush/bronzer applicator; the other, a foundation brush—and I love the eye-catching hot pink hue.
- Easy on the go shadow? It’s actually possible with Urban Decay’s Cream Shadow. They offer a nice array of colors for a neutral day look or a more vibrant effect for night. These creams are also easier to apply than normal shadows because there’s no need for a brush—just squeeze and apply with fingers. Plus, the shadows dry weightless and creaseless, leaving a heavenly shimmer on the eyes that lasts all day.
—By Maite Gonzalez, beauty intern
Written on August 5, 2010 at 7:35 pm , by Fitness Magazine
SPOTTED: Gossip Girl filming in New York City! The glamorous cast is back for another drama-filled season. We caught them filming an upcoming scene at the Diane von Furstenberg store in the Meatpacking District. As eager fans crowded the sidewalk, we kept an eye out for our favorite cast member, Leighton Meester. She finally showed, wearing a gorgeous glittery frock and of course, her signature power pout.
This week, Leighton revealed the secret behind her luscious lips: Benefit’s Benetint ($28, benefitcosmetics.com). The original rose-tinted lip and cheek stain is perfect for adding a natural flush to the face. The long-lasting color won’t budge through workouts, office meetings, or in Leighton’s case, steamy makeout scenes with on-again-off-again bad boy, Ed Westwick. Now that’s something to gossip about!
For more celebrity-inspired looks:
–Catherine Q. O’Neill, beauty intern