Written on January 10, 2012 at 10:16 am , by Fitness Magazine
I’m a sucker for anything sweet (who isn’t?!), so when I heard about this DIY body scrub that promises to make your skin bright and healthy, I had to try it. The verdict: It works and smells amazing! Best of all, it’s made of simple ingredients you’re sure to have stashed in your kitchen:
½ cup of brown sugar
3 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of honey
A few drops of water
Mix ingredients in a bowl, rub all over your skin in the shower, then rinse. Store in an airtight container for future use. Pretty sweet!
—By Leah Cayson, beauty intern
Written on May 31, 2011 at 10:26 am , by Fitness Magazine
Winter is long gone (finally!), meaning it’s not only time to tuck away our heavy coats but also to switch up our nail color. And luckily for us, sporting bright polish isn’t just for schoolgirls anymore. Deborah Lippmann‘s sophisticated new summer hues are the perfect shades for sunny days. We like the carefree coral for fingers, and the playful periwinkle and yellow on toes. What polish shades do you switch to for summer?
From left: Girls Just Want to Have Fun, I Know What Boys Like, and Yellow Brick Road
Written on April 26, 2011 at 7:18 am , by Fitness Magazine
It typically isn’t appropriate to start your day off with a cocktail, but Marc Jacobs is about to change that with his fresh new spring fragrance line. The limited edition Marc Jacobs Splash Cocktail 2011 Collection includes three fruity new flavors, but our favorite is the Cranberry concoction. The Cranberry cocktail is an ideal light and invigorating scent for spring. The key notes in our new favorite fragrance are a juicy mix of pink grapefruit, cranberry pulp, tangerine, honeysuckle, and exotic woods. I know you might be skeptical about smelling like a cranberry, but believe me—this chubby little bottle will win you over with just one spritz!
—By Lindsay Richardson, beauty intern
Written on March 22, 2011 at 1:01 pm , by April Franzino
Find out with the new Rodan + Fields Age-O-Meter Facebook App: You upload your picture, then age progression software instantly adds 30 years to your face. We tested it (the things we do in the name of journalism!) and suffice it to say, we will be taking care of our skin (hello, SPF!) with even more fervor than before. Try it yourself and get inspired to stay out of the sun and pamper that precious complexion!
Written on March 8, 2011 at 7:27 am , by Fitness Magazine
Makeup primers may seem like just another tiresome step in your primping routine, but the skin-perfecting and makeup-maintaining benefits make them worthwhile for many. Here’s our—well, primer—on primers:
- Face: Using a foundation primer like the Laura Mercier Foundation Primer as the last step in your routine before makeup acts like an undetectable spackle, filling in any crevices or imperfections so makeup goes on smoothly. Face primer also helps makeup stay on for as long as possible. There are versions of foundation primer that also treat and/or mask specific skin issues like acne, redness and dullness.
- Eyes: Using an eye primer, such as Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion, before applying your favorite shadow or liner will provide you with an even, neutral canvas so the color goes on true, and prevents pigments from disappearing, migrating or creasing.
Are makeup primers part of your routine? If so, what are your must-haves?
—By Maite Gonzalez, beauty intern
Written on February 15, 2011 at 6:41 am , by Fitness Magazine
I don’t know about you, but all of this snow has me daydreaming about my spring vacation—which is now only a month away! Beach fantasizing has quickly evolved into planning out my beauty essentials for the perfect beachy look: Think small, packable items that pack a big beauty punch. Read on for the products I’m lusting after for the big trip, and steal some ideas for your vacation—or staycation!
Avoid a hairy situation. After a day at the beach, my nicely straightened hair usually expands in size—hello, frizz!—until I’m virtually unrecognizable to my friends. If you’re like me and the sun/sand/salt water mixture leaves your hair in a knot, a hair moisturizer is the only option. I’ll be packing Shu Uemura Essence Absolue Nourishing Protective Oil to keep my hair hydrated (and fuzz at bay), repair damage and shield my strands from UV rays.
Get your bronze on. Fake a believable getaway glow with this shimmery little gem: Smashbox Artificial Light Luminizing Lotion lends sun-kissed radiance while keeping my face moisturized. It’s not full-on bronze, so it works on winter-pale skin.
Get eye-catching color. For a pop of color on top of my newly glowing skin, I’ll be packing Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm. This magic crayon gives an effortless, fun vacation look while also keeping lips soft with mango and shea butters.
Avoid runoff. This trip, I won’t let annoying raccoon eyes put a damper on my ocean dips. I’ll be sticking with super-volumizing Yves Saint Laurent Everlong Waterproof Mascara to prevent the runoff. Bon voyage!
—By Lindsay Richardson, Beauty Intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Tried-It Tuesday | Tags: bronze, Clinique, eyes, Face, glow, hair, lips, mascara, shimmer, Shu Uemura, Smashbox, spring makeup, vacation beauty, vacation makeup, Yves Saint Laurent
Written on February 8, 2011 at 6:48 am , by Fitness Magazine
Lately I’ve been on the hunt for beauty products that make me look great but are space-saving, easy and quick to use—and even save time when I’m in a big rush. These prettifying finds fit the bill:
- Benefit Benetint is a great two-in-one product that I’ve loved for years. This rose tinted stain is perfect for a flush of color on the cheeks and lips—all you need is a dot in each spot.
- Sephora’s Double-Ended Perfect Complexion Brush is a brush I recently picked up and have been using every day since. One side of the brush is a blush/bronzer applicator; the other, a foundation brush—and I love the eye-catching hot pink hue.
- Easy on the go shadow? It’s actually possible with Urban Decay’s Cream Shadow. They offer a nice array of colors for a neutral day look or a more vibrant effect for night. These creams are also easier to apply than normal shadows because there’s no need for a brush—just squeeze and apply with fingers. Plus, the shadows dry weightless and creaseless, leaving a heavenly shimmer on the eyes that lasts all day.
—By Maite Gonzalez, beauty intern
Written on December 7, 2010 at 6:01 am , by Fitness Magazine
It’s no secret that I have an oily complexion. It seems like the more I try to fight it, the worse it actually gets. Instead of battling it with harsh chemicals and rubbing alcohol, I’ve learned a few tricks along the way to work with my slick skin:
Moisturize- Never skip the moisturizer. If you skimp out on moisturizer your skin actually produces more oil because it’s thirsty. We like Origins Zero Oil moisturizer with Saw Palmetto & Mint. It’s super-lightweight and hydrating, with a hint of salicylic acid to instantly reduce shine.
Go oil-free- Look for foundations and powders that are free of added oils that can build up on top on your already oily skin. I like MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation. It goes on smooth and the result is a matte look that helps minimize the appearance of oil.
Blot away- To get rid of excess oil during the day, I never leave the house without blotting sheets. My favorite are Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets. They soak up the oil without smudging your makeup—and they’re compact enough to fit in your pocket, which is great for the on-the-go girl!
-Kari LaPrade, beauty intern
Written on November 30, 2010 at 6:35 am , by Fitness Magazine
Although I’ve only been an intern at FITNESS for two months, my bedroom has become a hoarder’s paradise. I have dedicated my weekends to bringing home and testing out the newest (and most promising) beauty products, eager to find which are worth the extra primping time. I’ve narrowed down my top five favorites, all of which live up their labels!
- Crest 3D Whitestrips: I know I’ve said before that I’m not a big fan of at-home whitening systems, but I can definitely make an exception for these. As promised, my teeth were noticeably whiter after just three days, and I experienced no pain or sensitivity.
- RapidLash: I’ve been using this product for a little over two weeks now, and already see an improvement in the length and thickness of my lashes! Since you only have to apply the serum once nightly, it’s the perfect easy and effective addition to your nightly beauty routine.
- Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque: My hair has never looked and felt as great as it did after using this weekly treatment. It smooths out dry ends and adds shine without weighing the hair down, leaving you with healthy, to-die-for hair.
- Laura Geller Eye Spackle: This lightweight eyeshadow primer glides onto your lids, and keeps shadow intact for the entire day. Zero reapplication required!
- Zeno Hot Spot: Although small, this mini blemish clearing device packs a lot of power! Use at the first sign of a pimple, and see results within an hour. This is one beauty tool I’ll keep around forever.
What are your favorite new beauty finds?
-Nina Ramadan, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Tried-It Tuesday | Tags: Beauty, Crest, eyeshadow, favorite, hair, lashes, laura geller, Macadamia Natural Oil, primer, products, Rapidlash, treatment, whitening, Zeno
Written on November 9, 2010 at 10:31 am , by April Franzino
Could all the beauty products you need be packed into three little sticks? If you ask model and former makeup artist Cindy Joseph, the answer is yes. Her line, Boom! by Cindy Joseph, consists of just three pocket-sized twist-up sticks, perfect for tossing in your gym bag and dabbing on-the-go:
- Boomstick Glo (below, right): A hydrating olive oil and beeswax balm formulated by Cindy’s beekeeper friend in Hawaii that can be used on cuticles, lips or face. This one has earned a spot in my (very-crowded) purse!
- Boomstick Color (below, middle): A berry hue for lips, cheeks and eyes that flatters all skin tones—it’s based on a shade she mixed at photo shoots and used on the full spectrum of celebs and models, from Uma Thurman to Naomi Campbell.
- Boomstick Glimmer (below, left): A subtle shimmer highlighter that can be used to accentuate cheekbones, brighten up the inner corners of eyes or layer on lips for a more dressed-up look.
Talk about a streamlined routine! What beauty essentials do you tote every day?