The mane man behind Gisele Bündchen‘s iconic waves, Harry Josh, is hitting the road on the John Frieda Destination: Style Salon Tour. The bus of celebrity stylists, led by Josh, is traveling to cities across the country in May, June and July to offer free 15-minute consultations and styling lessons. Stop by when the bus rolls through your city:
- Friday, May 13, 2011 New York, NY “Times Square – Broadway Plaza (Broadway btw. 43rd & 44th)” 11AM – 7PM
- Saturday, May 14, 2011 New York, NY 11AM – 7PM
- Friday, May 20, 2011 Philadelphia, PA “King of Prussia Mall Route 202 at Mall Boulevard, Suite 2700 King of Prussia, PA” noon – 8PM
- Saturday, May 21, 2011 Philadelphia, PA 11AM – 7PM
- Thursday, May 26, 2011 Miami, FL “Aventura Mall 19501 Biscayne Blvd Aventura, FL 33180″ noon – 8PM
- Friday, May 27, 2011 Miami, FL noon – 8PM
- Saturday, June 04, 2011 Bentonville, AR “WalMart Supercenter Store 5260 4208 Pleasant Crossing Blvd Rogers, AR 72758″ 9AM – 5PM
- Friday, June 10, 2011 Dallas, TX “Shops at Park Lane 8070 Park Ln Dallas, TX 75231″ 10AM – 6PM
- Saturday, June 11, 2011 Dallas, TX 10AM – 6PM
- Friday, June 17, 2011 Phoenix, AZ “Westgate City Center 6770 North Sunrise Boulevard Glendale, AZ 85305″ 2PM – 10PM
- Saturday, June 18, 2011 Phoenix, AZ 2PM – 10PM
- Friday, June 24, 2011 Los Angeles, CA “Hollywood & Highland 6801 Hollywood Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90028″ 11AM – 7PM
- Saturday, June 25, 2011 Los Angeles, CA 11AM – 7PM
- Wednesday, June 29, 2011 Seattle, WA “Westlake Park 4th Avenue (SE side of Pine St.) Seattle, Washington” 11AM – 7PM
- Thursday, June 30, 2011 Seattle, WA Westlake Park 11AM – 7PM
- Saturday, July 09, 2011 Chicago, IL “West Fest Chicago Ave. SE intersection of Wolcot St.” noon – 8PM
- Sunday, July 10, 2011 Chicago, IL noon – 8PM
- Friday, July 15, 2011 Minneapolis, MN “Mall of America 5000 Center Ct. Bloomington, MN 55425″ noon – 8PM
- Saturday, July 16, 2011 Minneapolis, MN 11AM – 7PM
- Friday, July 22, 2011 Atlanta, GA “Perimeter Mall 4400 Ashford Dunwoody Road Atlanta, GA 30346″ noon – 8PM
- Saturday, July 23, 2011 Atlanta, GA noon – 8PM
Today’s our birthday, so we’re letting you in on a special gift: Starting this month, visit a Benefit Cosmetics Brow Bar on your birthday, and receive a free brow service—just present an ID with your birthdate. Find the location nearest you (there are over 300!) here.
Amy Abramite, creative director of Maxine Salon in Chicago shared this video on how to do a chic, classic updo in less than two minutes with FITNESS. Watch and learn!
Our love for animals and beauty products meets in these whimsical, creature-adorned treats. They’re guaranteed to make you smile every time you pick them up! (We’d know—all three currently have a home on our desk.) From left:
Soap and Paper Factory Patch NYC Whale Solid Fragrance—despite its moniker, does not smell like a whale; rather a unique mix of patchouli, basil and jasmine.
Alora Ambiance Triple Milled Shea Butter Soap in Bimbi As indicated by it’s duck-dotted wrapping, smells fresh and faintly sweet, like a baby’s skin.
Tokyo Milk Little Art Flat Pocket Mirror in Graphic Bird slips undetected into—you guessed it—your back pocket.
New Year’s Eve gives all women an opportunity to be bold—so why not make a statement with your makeup? To create a simple yet dramatic look, we love the combination of a matte red lip and false eyelashes. For that kiss (we hope!) at midnight, stick to a lip stain instead of lipstick and your pout will last into 2011!
Our picks: Maybelline Color Sensational Lipstain in Cherry Pop and Revlon Fantasy Lengths False Eyelashes in Intensifying. Happy New Year from FITNESS!
-Michelle Ernest, beauty intern
At FITNESS, we know the importance of a good workout. While the sweat may work wonders on your body, it can wreak havoc on your face, resulting in unwanted blemishes. Here, a few tips to prevent workout woes:
- Avoid contact with equipment. It’s impossible to steer clear of equipment when you’re at the gym, but it is possible to avoid contact with it. Before sitting or laying down on any of the machines, lay out a clean towel to use as a barrier, protecting your skin against dirt and bacteria. Don’t feel like carrying around a towel with you? Wear workout clothing that covers breakout-prone parts of your body, such as the back and shoulders.
- Tie your hair. When you’re working out, your scalp produces oil more quickly than usual. If your hair falls onto your face during exercise, the likelihood of a breakout increases. Prevent blemishes by keeping hair off your face and back with elastic hair ties and headbands.
- Hands off! Touching your face is the number one way of transferring bacteria onto your skin. No matter how strenuous the workout, keep sweaty hands out of your skin!
- Clean your gym bag. Let’s face it: We require quite a few on-the-go supplies after a long workout. Storing your gym bag in a locker (or putting it on the locker room floor) can allow dirt and bacteria to get in, as does touching your products before washing your hands. Clean the outside of your gym bag with an antibacterial wipe or spray every couple of uses, and store makeup in Ziploc bags so it doesn’t come in contact with your sweaty gym necessities.
- Choose cotton. Nylon and polyester clothing hinder the skin’s ability to breathe, clogging pores and causing body breakouts. Choose cotton as your go-to material; it allows skin to breathe even during your most grueling cardio class.
-Nina Ramadan, beauty intern
Scalp dryness can flare up in winter or from washing your hair frequently after workouts, says Skyy Hadley, owner and founder of As “U” Wish Spa in Hoboken, New Jersey. Prevent flakes and itchiness from over-washing with this simple hydrating treatment: Part hair into four sections with a comb, then use your fingers to rub a dime-sized amount of pure olive oil into each area of your scalp. Leave on for as long as you can and wash out with your regular shampoo. Bonus: This treatment’s practically free!
I switch out beauty products like I switch out shoes—way too often. But the one product that has managed to stick around in my makeup bag is Maybelline New York Great Lash Clear Mascara. It goes on smooth, and never gets dry and flaky. I use it to tame my eyebrows, and under mascara as a base coat to make my lashes pop. My lashes are naturally curly and can go a little crazy on their own, so I use it alone during workouts to keep them groomed but natural. The best part: It’s under $5! What’s your favorite thrifty find?
-Kari LaPrade, beauty intern