Whether we’re single or attached, we love sporting a bold red lip for Valentine’s Day—the look is classic yet eye-catching and a departure from our normal neutral palette. Our rouge of choice? DuWop Private Red Lipstick, a universally flattering red with the perfect mix of warm and cool tones. We swipe it on lips, then blend with our fingers for a more diffuse finish. Additional proof of its greatness: A fellow beauty editor inquired about what lipstick we were wearing when we wore it last weekend. It also smells faintly sweet and feels soft on lips. Will you wear red lips for Valentine’s Day—or are they part of your regular routine?
I’m currently on week three of my half-marathon training schedule for the FITNESS Half-Marathon, and my feet are starting to look very callused and all-around rough. Heidi Waldorf, M.D., a dermatologist in New York City, recently gave me this cool tip:
Before you put on your gym socks, slather on Vaseline all over your feet. “Vaseline will help soften your skin and also keep you from getting a blister,” Dr. Waldorf says. If you have calluses, Dr. Waldorf suggests using a lotion or serum with salicylic acid before Vaseline. Post-treadmill you’ll have baby-soft feet.
During the chilly months, our lips have to endure the harsh weather right along with the rest of our body. They get chapped, dry and flaky if we don’t give them the love and care they deserve. Fresh Brown Sugar Lip Polish is a great little treat to gently buff away flakes, a necessary step before sporting that vibrant red or pink lip for Valentine’s Day. Sugar is a natural antiseptic, and this product was concocted without parabens, sulfates, and synthetic dyes—so it gently exfoliates for smooth, kissable lips. Flip to our “Bliss Out” feature on page 50 of the March issue (on newsstands next week) for a DIY lip scrub recipe!
—By Melissa Dressing, contributing blogger
When was the last time you properly cleaned your makeup brushes?
Can’t remember? Then you might be swirling bacteria and fungus on your face—ick!
Makeup brushes pick up and accumulate dead skin cells, oils, dirt and any other bacteria that’s on your skin. This leads to brushes that are stiff with separated bristles, causing streaky makeup and eventually destroying your tool. Plus, touching your face with a dirty brush every day can cause clogged pores and breakouts, too. Take the time to clean yours as often as possible. The following products make it easy:
- Clinique Brush Cleanser is a great wash to remove all the grime that’s accumulated, leaving a completely clean, sanitized brush.
- Bare Escentuals Quick Change Brush Cleaner is a lifesaver when you need to instantly remove pigment from your brushes. It allows you to go from one shade to another in seconds, leaving no traces of the previous color.
Remember: Clean brushes mean a clean, happy face!
—By Maite Gonzalez, beauty intern
Lately I’ve been on the hunt for beauty products that make me look great but are space-saving, easy and quick to use—and even save time when I’m in a big rush. These prettifying finds fit the bill:
- Benefit Benetint is a great two-in-one product that I’ve loved for years. This rose tinted stain is perfect for a flush of color on the cheeks and lips—all you need is a dot in each spot.
- Sephora’s Double-Ended Perfect Complexion Brush is a brush I recently picked up and have been using every day since. One side of the brush is a blush/bronzer applicator; the other, a foundation brush—and I love the eye-catching hot pink hue.
- Easy on the go shadow? It’s actually possible with Urban Decay’s Cream Shadow. They offer a nice array of colors for a neutral day look or a more vibrant effect for night. These creams are also easier to apply than normal shadows because there’s no need for a brush—just squeeze and apply with fingers. Plus, the shadows dry weightless and creaseless, leaving a heavenly shimmer on the eyes that lasts all day.
—By Maite Gonzalez, beauty intern
Brrr! You don’t need Al Roker to tell you that it’s COLD outside in most states right now. (Californians, you are all lucky ducks!) In our February issue, we featured treatments to heal your toughest winter woes. Here are a couple of my favorite snow-day tips for looking radiant even when you’re freezing:
- If the skin on your body is parched, try this trick: Once you get in the shower, massage a cream-based cleanser over your skin when it’s dry, not wet. This step prevents the cream from getting too diluted, so that it’s more effective and hydrating. Rinse after about 15-20 seconds.
- To stop your makeup from caking, soften any cream-based concealers or foundations between your index fingertip and thumb before applying. The heat you generate will help it go on evenly. (Chilly temps can harden creamy makeup products.)
- No tropical vacay in site? After applying a peach cream blush to your cheeks, pat a little above each eyebrow’s arch, then blend. This will give your face a little sunkissed glow and warmth.
Our “Bright Ideas” feature in the February issue highlights beauty tips readers (maybe you!) shared on this blog, our Facebook fan page, message board and Twitter. Here, a few gems that didn’t make it into the magazine:
Free style.“Work with your natural hair texture; just polish it up with a curl cream or a little smoothing oil before you air or blow dry.” —Tricia Kibler
Remove wisely. “To avoid eye wrinkles without a big expense attached, use baby oil to remove eye makeup.” —Renee Prusak-Blake
De-puff fast. “Hide puffy eyes by using concealer under the eye and on the eyelid. Then I use a light dusting of translucent powder to set it before I put on my eye shadow.” —Tara Reed Hovis
Brighten your base. “Even with a lack of sleep, a light purple base under regular foundation makes the face look radiant and glowing.”—En Jay
Move smoothly. “I find Nivea Crème to be fantastic in the winter months. The texture is rather thick, but it’s light on the skin and protects against gusts of wind when running. It also works great as a hand cream.” —Rachel Reape
Boost your cleanse. “Whenever my skin is feeling dry or dull, I mix sugar with a tablespoon of olive oil and my regular face wash, then wash my face. I do this just about every other day; nothing I’ve used has worked better than this on my skin.” —Christina
Sprinkle salts. “I have been a long term user and lover of Dead Sea bath salt. It’s great for dry skin, cellulite, acne, psoriasis, arthritis, and it also improves your circulation and detoxifies your body. With such great anti-aging and healing qualities, how can you go wrong?” —Stacy Ann Rosen
From the Golden Globes to the Oscars and everything in between, award season is in full swing. Although most of us watch the shows in our pajamas and not Prada, that doesn’t mean we can’t look like the stars at home. Stila for E! Live From the Red Carpet Palettes were inspired by celebs, but the convenient packaging is perfect for girls on the go. Each set includes everything you need for a glamorous night out, including a step-by-step application guide from celebrity makeup artist Sarah Lucero. Play up the Breathtaking Beauty Palette for a dramatic look, or use the natural colors for a fresh and flawless daytime face. Who are you most excited to see on the red carpet this year?
—Catherine Q. O’Neill, contributing blogger
Many women would be offended if their beau gave them makeup for Valentine’s Day. I can just hear the mental dialogue: “Does he think I’m ugly?”, “Is he not attracted to me?”, “Have I let myself go?” However, I would personally love a little V-Day pick me up for my makeup bag. After all, isn’t Valentine’s the one day of the year a girl gets to be pampered and treated like a goddess? Here are the beauty buys that are making my heart go pitter-patter this Valentine’s season:
MAC Cosmetics consistently manages to put out stunning holiday collections—and their Tough Love line for Valentine’s Day is no exception. We’ve got it bad for the Lipstick in Girl About Town, above.
In the spirit of indulgence, we’re eager to get our hands on this adorable NARS Forever Yours Limited Edition Eye, Lip & Illuminator Set. The sweet little trio includes a new liquid highlighter, pink lip gloss and eye shadow pencil.
What’s Valentine’s Day with out a little seduction? Every girl needs a special scent to get the night going. On my wish list is rose-tinged Chloe Eau de Parfum Spray.
Nobody wants to be dry and scaly on V-Day. Kiss Me with Kiehl’s is my pick to ensure silky skin for the big night! The set includes the super-delicious, sweet-scented Soy Milk & Honey Body Polish.
In lieu of the candy hearts and chocolate covered what-have-you, I’m asking for a different kind of sugar this year. Butter London has a bold nail color foursome called I Want Candy that will make your heart skip a beat.
By Lindsay Richardson, beauty intern