Just because you’re constantly on the go doesn’t mean your beauty regime has to suffer. We found some of the coolest beauty applications for your smart phones. Now you can be a virtual beauty no matter what your day has in store!
One major ingredient in looking and feeling your best is making sure you get your beauty ZZZ’s. This cool app helps you log and analyze your sleep so you can dream sweetly.
Makeup junkies can breath a sigh of relief—with the new Sephora app you can browse, buy and even watch tutorials from your phone. Plus, a little birdie told us that when you make your first purchase using this app you get a free Sephora iPhone case!
There’s nothing like the sheer joy of finding the perfect hue for your digits. This OPI app will help you achieve nail perfection.
Who doesn’t need a midday makeup check? This handy app turns your phone into a mirror so you can check yourself out. Whether you need to insert your contacts or just reapply your favorite shade, this is the app for you and it’s totally free.
Strange but true: Your phone can pamper you with an on-the-go spa treatment. Just place it on your back for a mini massage—anywhere, anytime!
In this economy a girl’s got to know where to find a bargain! This app keeps you up-to-date on the latest beauty and health steals, so you can go ahead and treat yourself without the guilt.
—By Lindsay Richardson, beauty intern
This past weekend, I visited the Mario Badescu Spa for a vitamin C facial, and I totally had an acne aha moment. For the past couple of months, I have been consistently breaking out on my neck. (Who knew this was even possible?!) The zits are often on the left side of my neck, and I originally blamed my little puppy Elvis as my acne culprit. However, as soon as my facialist saw the breakouts on my neck, she asked: “Do you sleep with your hair down?” My answer: Yes, and I often slather oil (my go-to one: Shu Uemura Essence Absolue) on my ends in order to keep them shiny and prevent split-ends. Then she asked: “Do you sleep with your head turned more to the right?” My answer: Totally, because I like to face my window. Ding, ding! Tossing my hair around was exacerbating, if not completely causing, my neck bumps. Since this visit, I’ve been wearing my hair up, and I’ve already noticed that my skin is clearer. Have any of you guys come across other habits that are skin saboteurs? I’m curious!
It’s difficult to find a bronzer that’s believable in winter, but Physicians Formula Healthy Wear Pressed Bronzer SPF 50 in Light fits the bill. This powder lends just enough skin-warming bronze with absolutely no trace of orange or shimmer. It’s so good, we just hit the bottom of the pan—quite a feat for us! And the high SPF is just the skin-protecting icing in the cake. Do you wear bronzer in winter?
Amy Abramite, creative director of Maxine Salon in Chicago shared this video on how to do a chic, classic updo in less than two minutes with FITNESS. Watch and learn!
Staying fresh and put together during a marathon, time-crunched day can be a challenge—but not to worry, FITNESS is here to help! Here are a few of my favorite ways to look and feel great on the go, no matter what my busy schedule has in store:
- Hydrate your face. Rehydrate your skin in a dry, stuffy office or classroom with a mist of purified water. We like Evian Mineral Water Spray; it releases a light, invigorating mist that won’t disturb your makeup. Or fill a spray bottle with water and add a few drops of your favorite essential oil for an even more moisturizing, therapeutic treat.
- Beat the tangles. All that running around can leave your hair a tangled mess. Carry a compact brush with mirror that folds to fit in your bag- we love Sephora Collection Printed Pop-Up Brush, decked in a supercute bee pattern. Just running the brush through locks a couple times can bring them back to life; to add volume, brush the roots up and back.
- Freshen up. It seems simple, but one of my favorite ways to feel refreshed is to brush my teeth—something about the clean feeling gives me an ultimate boost. I keep a travel toothbrush and toothpaste in my purse for a mid-day touch up. On days when I’m really crunched for time, I pull out a Colgate Wisp, a miniature toothbrush with built-in paste.
-Kari LaPrade, contributing blogger
Congrats to Kim Cattrall, who is now the face of Olay’s new Total Effects 7-in-1 Advanced Anti-Aging Body Wash and Lotion that will be launching this spring. Recently, I had the chance to interview her over the phone. Here are some fun tidbits I learned about her:
- She has very dry skin on her body. “I take a ton of showers and baths, which I really enjoy as a way to decompress. My skin always felt tight and dry, and I would even scratch it so hard that I would break blood vessels. This Olay body lotion leaves it incredibly moisturized, and I apply it two times a day. I love that it’s lightweight, and I don’t have to wait to get dressed after I slather it on.”
- She squeezes in quick workouts every day. “Even when I’m working, I try to do something active for about 20 minutes a day, such as biking at the gym or taking a vigorous walk through Central park with my iPod.”
- She exfoliates her skin daily. “I buff my skin by putting a little bit of lotion on a mitt and rubbing it over my body gently when I’m in the shower. I always do this when my skin is damp, and it makes my skin feel supple and luxurious.”
‘Tis the season for scaly legs, and our gams are always the first to fall victim to the moisture-sapping winter air. So we coddle them in the shower with the richest, most buttery shaving cream out there: Aubrey Organics Créme de la Shave in Toasted Almond. The lightly sweet scent is heavenly, and the essential oil-packed formula wraps our legs in much-needed hydration. How do you quench your most winter-parched parts?
Vamp up your nails with a color that’s of a whole new dimension. Duochrome nail polish brings something different to the basic manicure. Infused with several different complimentary shades and a slight shimmer, the polish changes color as you move thanks to reflecting light. The trendiest tints come in a darker range—a slightly psychedelic mix of purples, blues, greens and gunmetals all in one bottle! Would you try a duochrome manicure?