This past month I decided it was time for a change, and my mane was the target. I didn’t want to do anything drastic, so I took the advice of my stylist and traded in my flat iron for a blow dryer and round brush. My hair is now injected with bounce and volume—a look I would have never been able to achieve otherwise.
Here's how to achieve your own perfect blowout:
1) Always start with heat protectant! This is key for preventing heat damage and maintaining shine. Try one that repairs as it protects, like Matrix Biolage Thermal Active Repair Gloss, for double the benefit. To add volume, Pantene Celebrity Stylist Danilo also suggests using a spray gel, like the Pantene Fine Heat Protection & Shine Spray.
2) Part damp hair into even sections and pin up with plastic clips. The smaller the section, the faster and more easily you’ll finish the blowdry.
3) Starting with the bottom layers, grip the round brush in your right hand and place at the root of your first section, with hair falling on top of it. Choose a brush with boar bristles, which distribute hair’s natural oils and maximize shine. A wide ceramic barrel is ideal for adding volume and holding heat longer to shorten drying time.
4) Place the blow dryer (on high) directly above the strands and slowly move the brush downward through the length of the hair, repeating until dry. When you reach the ends, twirl the brush around the hair for a couple of seconds to add dimension and give that “I just stepped out of a salon” appearance. Don't keep the heat in one spot, Danilo warns: "This can bake your strands and cause stress on the hair, leaving it fried. Evenly distribute heat throughout the hair when blow drying."
5) Repeat step 4 until the entire head is complete and looking fabulous! Remember to move slowly and take your time. Practice really does make perfect, especially when attempting a blowout!
6) Finish with a small amount of glossing serum, such as Organix Nourishing Milk Anti-Breakage Serum.
Follow these steps and you’ll be on the road to bouncy hair in no time! What are you best at-home blowout tricks?
-Nina Ramadan, beauty intern