Although I’ve only been an intern at FITNESS for two months, my bedroom has become a hoarder’s paradise. I have dedicated my weekends to bringing home and testing out the newest (and most promising) beauty products, eager to find which are worth the extra primping time. I’ve narrowed down my top five favorites, all of which live up their labels!
- Crest 3D Whitestrips: I know I’ve said before that I’m not a big fan of at-home whitening systems, but I can definitely make an exception for these. As promised, my teeth were noticeably whiter after just three days, and I experienced no pain or sensitivity.
- RapidLash: I’ve been using this product for a little over two weeks now, and already see an improvement in the length and thickness of my lashes! Since you only have to apply the serum once nightly, it’s the perfect easy and effective addition to your nightly beauty routine.
- Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque: My hair has never looked and felt as great as it did after using this weekly treatment. It smooths out dry ends and adds shine without weighing the hair down, leaving you with healthy, to-die-for hair.
- Laura Geller Eye Spackle: This lightweight eyeshadow primer glides onto your lids, and keeps shadow intact for the entire day. Zero reapplication required!
- Zeno Hot Spot: Although small, this mini blemish clearing device packs a lot of power! Use at the first sign of a pimple, and see results within an hour. This is one beauty tool I’ll keep around forever.
What are your favorite new beauty finds?
-Nina Ramadan, beauty intern
Categories: Beauty On the Go, Tried-It Tuesday | Tags: Beauty, Crest, eyeshadow, favorite, hair, lashes, laura geller, Macadamia Natural Oil, primer, products, Rapidlash, treatment, whitening, Zeno
There’s an art to traveling beautifully this holiday season—just ask veteran travel editor Debbi Kickham, whose new book The Globetrotter’s Get-Gorgeous Guide launched last week. A few of her pearls of wisdom for looking great on the go:
- Mix vitamin C powder into your water to make a quick, refreshing facial spritz for the plane.
- Have you arrived with puffy eyes and a parched face? A German flight attendant swears by asking room service for a container of cold yogurt, which she applies to her face.
- Wear sunscreen – on the plane! You’ll be up in the sky with strong natural sunlight coming through the windows.
What are your favorite travel beauty tips?
On behalf of the FITNESS Beauty Team, we’d like to wish you a safe and Happy Thanksgiving! We’re thankful for YOU and your support throughout the year. We’ll be back next week—in the meantime, here’s to a beautiful holiday!
In our November/December issue (on stands now!), I wrote a feature about how your workout of choice can lead you to a perfect-for-you perfume pick. Researchers say that the part of the brain that’s linked to your sense of smell has a direct connection to your personality and exercise preference.
In the issue, we have fragrance finds for active readers who love to hike, run, spin and practice yoga, but we had to drop one exercise category from the layout: dancing. Read on to sniff out a new signature scent for the season!
Your Workout: Dancing
Your Fit Fragrance: Gourmand
If you love ballet, jazz, hip-hop, or even Zumba classes, chances are you enjoy being in tune with your body. And scrumptious food-inspired fragrances take the cake in terms of increasing your self-esteem. “Because they’re often associated with positive, nostalgic feelings, research suggests that these sweet scents can raise your endorphin levels, making you feel better about yourself,” explains Alan Hirsch, M.D., of the Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago. Try these yummy, but still subtle, scents:
- Victoria’s Secret Dream Angels Heavenly Stardust ($49, Victoria’s Secret stores) has comforting traces of caramel and praline.
- The star note in Pure DKNY ($80, dkny.com) is vanilla, which smells fresh, thanks to hints of creamy sandalwood.
- Mary Kay Thinking of You ($30, marykay.com) sweetens skin with delish dashes of tonka bean, vanilla, and sugar.
At 49, supermodel and actress Carol Alt isn’t afraid to reveal her age, because she’s looking better than ever. On top of a diet of raw foods and treating her body to the recommended amount of sleep, she follows an all-natural beauty regime. We got the chance to chat with the stunning skincare entrepreneur about her new raw food-based line, Raw Essentials, as well as what’s inside her makeup bag. Take a peak:
-Kari LaPrade, beauty intern
If you’re like me, you’re probably prone to skimp on shut-eye as the holiday craziness starts to go into full effect. But, experts say it’s absolutely essential to prioritize your zzz’s. (I know, I know: It’s tough!). Here’s a recent TV segment that I did with Better TV that will give you some ways you can actually multitask as you sleep to max out your slumber hours. Also, here’s another segment that I did the same day that will explain exactly why snoozing for 7-9 hours is so crucial to your overall wellness. Night, night!
Due to the nature of our job—trying new products left and right—there are very few that we use day in and day out. The exception? Mally Evercolor Shadow Stick, a twist-up creamy shadow/liner that glides on for an understated smudgy lined look or builds into an easy smoky eye in an instant. We wear the Saddle Shimmer shade, a slightly glimmery bronze, on our lower lashline every single day. It brightens our eyes, makes us look awake and complements whatever we wear on our lids. What’s your go-to shadow or liner?
We asked Alana Nichols, the first female Paralympic adaptive alpine skier and basketball player, (talk about inspiring!) for her on-the-go beauty secrets and must-have products as she got glamorized at the Paul Mitchell Red Carpet Pre-Styling Event. Here are a few of this gold medalist’s tips:
-Kari LaPrade, beauty intern
It’s no secret that the cold months leave our hands feeling dry and brittle. Brutal wind and bitter temperatures cause them to crack and flake, a look that will never be in style. Hand model Christina Amber has represented top national brands like Sally Hansen, Jergens, Nivea, Neutrogena and Maybelline; and has stood in for celebrities including Jennifer Love Hewitt, Kelly Ripa, Natalie Portman and Mia Hamm. Here, her secrets for keeping hands looking fresh and youthful during the winter months:
- Always keep a moisturizer with you to reapply throughout the day. Try Dermelect Timeless Anti-Aging Daily Hand Treatment. The 4 ounce container makes it super compact and easy to tote on-the-go.
- Think gloves! Gloves protect your hands from the cold winter weather, and are just as important indoors. To protect your skin from damaging chemicals, wear a pair while doing housework!
- Avoid washing your hands with hot water, which opens pores and dries out the skin: Wash with lukewarm water instead.
- Limit use of harsh antibacterial soaps, which can also leave skin dry and brittle. Instead, look for formulas with hydrating and nourishing ingredients.
How do you keep your hands in top shape?
-Nina Ramadan, beauty intern
At a recent Mark. event, we sat front and center while MTV’s SuChin Pak chatted with Twilight star Ashley Greene about style, beauty and giving back. She even answered our question about looking great on the go! Take a peak: