M.A.C. Cosmetics and Disney have teamed up to launch the limited edition M.A.C. Venomous Villains Collection, based on the sultry styles of four of the most infamous Disney villains: Cruella de Vil from 101 Dalmatians, Dr. Facilier from The Princess and the Frog, Evil Queen from Snow White and Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty (my favorite Disney fairytale!) Each collection offers a range of makeup, including eye shadow, lip gloss, lipstick, nail polish, eyeliner, blush and powder. The products can be purchased starting today at maccosmetics.com and at M.A.C. counters nationwide for as long as supplies last. Our favorites (below, from left): Maleficent Mineralize Eye Shadow in My Dark Magic ($21), Cruella de Vil Lipglass in Devilishly Stylish ($15.50) and Evil Queen Beauty Powder in Oh So Fair ($25).
Who’s your favorite Disney villain? Will you grab a piece of this magical makeup collection before it’s gone?
Women make up 44 percent of football fans, so it’s no surprise that the NFL is launching more and more products geared toward us. The latest? Team-branded body lotion, bath salts, body scrub and even coordinating nail polish (see the Pittsburgh Steelers gift set below), launching on nflshop.com in mid-October.
What’s your favorite football team? Would you wear their logo body lotion or nail polish—or does a jersey do just fine?
Tweezerman is making eyebrow shaping a little less painful. Its special edition line of tweezers feature decorative artwork, and include designs by Betsey Johnson (left), Agatha Ruiz de La Prada, and Benefit Cosmetics. There’s a design to fit every personality: wild animal prints, kitschy patterns, girly florals and even edgy skulls. These mini masterpieces make great gifts, and like all Tweezerman tweezers, they come with free sharpening and lifetime guarantee! The Betsey Johnson and Agatha Ruiz de La Prada designs are sold exclusively at Sephora, and the Tweezerman for Benefit collection can be found at Macy’s.
Would you trade your ordinary tweezers for one of these eye-opening designs?
-Nina Ramadan, beauty intern
While my morning (afternoon and evening) cup o’ joe may leave me feeling perked up and ready to take on the world, it can also leave me with a dull, stained smile. I’m not a big fan of the teeth whitening kits you see in stores, and find they make my teeth feel weak and irritated. Luckily, there are a few at-home tricks that seem to solve my dental disaster:
1) Olive Oil. After brushing, dab extra virgin olive oil onto a soft cloth and gently rub on teeth. While it’s not known why olive oil is an effective teeth whitener, your brighter smile will speak for itself!
2) Hydrogen Peroxide. When it comes to tooth health, hydrogen peroxide is a super power. It not only whitens teeth, but also strengthens enamel, heals canker sores and fights bacteria. To use it as a whitening agent, swish a cap-full around in your mouth for 30 seconds to one minute, and then brush in an upward and downward motion.
3) Baking Soda. Baking soda is a major ingredient found in toothpastes to help deliver a whiter, brighter smile. After brushing, dip your wet toothbrush directly into some baking soda and brush in a circular motion. The surface stains will be lifted immediately!
*Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide used together can also act as a superior whitening remedy. Combine the two until a thick paste forms, and use as toothpaste.
-Nina Ramadan, beauty intern
Want a new style to sport this season or simply need to freshen up your hair? We turned to Kimberly Rothamel Morgan at Bob Steele Salon in Atlanta for her top strand secrets:
1. If your hair is straight, have your stylist add some face-framing layers that start above your cheekbone or about an inch above your jawline if you want to be able to tuck your hair behind your ears (crucial for working out!). This will enhance your bone structure and refresh your hair for fall.
2. If your hair is curly, define your ringlets with a moisturizing curl cream, such as Redken Fresh Curls Curl Refiner . You’ll need to adjust the amount of product you need according to your length: chin-length or above = two dime-sized doses, shoulder-length = three dime-sized doses, below your shoulders = three to four dime-sized doses. The key to the smoothest application? Flip your hair over for the first dose and then back up to do the next dose for the most even coverage. Then, blow-dry your hair with a diffuser or air-dry.
3. Healthy hair equals gorgeous hair. After a summer of chlorine, sun, salt and sand, you need to give your hair some TLC. Schedule a trim and use a deep-conditioning treatment or mask once a week to bring your hair back to life.
It’s been one of those crazy-busy weeks—you know, the kind when you get home at the end of each night and can’t muster that last bit of energy to wash your face. Enter Josie Maran Bear Naked Wipes ($12 for 30), our time-saving grace. These vitamin E and aloe-infused face wipes remove makeup and grime, leaving skin soft and moisturized. They’re paraben and fragrance-free, and biodegradable, so we can toss them in the trash guilt-free. Plus, a portion of the proceeds goes to the Natural Resources Defense Council’s Polar Bear SOS initiative, to help protect the endangered animals. Sounds like a win-win to us! What’s your favorite way to cleanse quickly?
Changing of seasons brings a changing of trends. My favorite for fall? The 90s grunge look shown by designers like Alexander Wang (Fall 2010) and worn by celebrities including Emma Roberts and Drew Barrymore. The undone-on-purpose look is classic and edgy; that’s exactly what I love about it! Unlike most extravagant styles done on the runway, this one is doable at home (and is super-easy to execute after a workout). To get this look you’ll need a brown eye shadow with orangey tones, like Urban Decay Deluxe Eye Shadow in Heat, and an eyeliner that smudges easy, like Maybelline Line Express Eyeliner in Ebony Black, which comes with a built in smudging end. Dust a bit of tawny bronzer on cheekbones and finish with a matte lip balm. Bonus: This is a perfect opportunity to give your hair a break and let it dry naturally. Would you try the messy-chic look?
-Kari LaPrade, beauty intern
When deciding on a full-coverage foundation, it’s best to go natural. Like many women, I have fallen victim to a cakey appearance when trying to diminish blemishes and imperfections. Thankfully, I’ve come to realize that I don’t need all that heavy goop to get effective and long-lasting coverage. I’ve recently traded in my cream foundation for a mineral one, and not only do I look and feel fresher, but the coverage is the same as my old stuff! A personal favorite of mine is Maybelline New York’s Mineral Power Finishing Veil Loose Powder. The powder gives a natural finish, and unlike heavy foundations, it won’t clog pores (added perk: it comes with a 100% natural kabuki brush for even application).
Dermatologist Heba Abdulla, M.D., of Lakes Skin Centre in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, gave me all the facts on mineral makeup: It lacks fragrances, synthetic dyes, and preservatives, all of which can irritate the skin. And, because most mineral makeup contains titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, it also helps protect your skin from the harmful rays of the sun. If U.V. rays are your concern, try the brand ColoreScience, which has earned the Skin Cancer Foundation seal of approval.
When it comes to foundation, less really is more. Have you tried mineral makeup? If so, what did you think of it?
-Nina Ramadan, beauty intern
Haircare brand göt2b is sponsoring Cupcake Week, which raises money for the charity CancerCare for Kids that supports children with cancer. Visit cupcakesforacause.org, send a free e-cupcake, and göt2b will donate $1 to the charity. Want to do more? Simply “Like” göt2b on Facebook, and the brand will donate another dollar to CancerCare for Kids. Sounds like a sweet deal to us!
Celebrity makeup artist Carmindy, of What Not To Wear fame, made this video on easy fall makeup looks just for FITNESS readers. Enjoy!
See more of Carmindy’s beauty videos here.