Written on June 16, 2010 at 10:55 am , by Fitness Magazine
Self-tanner can make you look slimmer and smoother if you do it right. Follow these expert tint hints.
1) Exfoliate thoroughly. If you don’t, your faux glow will look streaky, says New York City-based tanning expert, Anna Stankiewicz. Avoid oil-based scrubs, which can coat the skin and cause patchiness.
2) Prep parched parts. Before you get glowing, put a light layer of lotion on your hands, feet, elbows and heels to keep the bronzer from over absorbing into dry areas. “You’ll still get a little bit of penetration but not enough to cause splotches,” Stankiewicz says.
3) Get even. Keep crinkly areas, like your knees and elbows, seamless by bending them as you apply tanner. Don’t forget to massage the formula into your neck, the skin around your ears and hairline–all are zones women often miss.
4) Bring sexy back. To get your upper back and shoulders, try this trick from Dera Enochson, creator and founder of Xen-Tan: Take a foot of Saran Wrap and fold it lengthwise into a two-inch strip. Put tanner in the middle, and, holding the ends, smooth it across your back like you’re drying your back with a towel.
5) Use protection. Don’t rub off your tawny color before it develops. After your application dries, blot on a talc-free powder, such as Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Dusting Powder ($4.55, burtsbees.com), to create a barrier. Remember not to shower for about eight hours. Now, you’re golden!