Skin Cancer: 4 Reasons You're at Risk
Pages in this Story:
- 1. You assume your doctor is looking out for suspicious moles.
- 2. You love being an athlete, but you're not so great about using sunscreen.
- 3. You've gotten a "base" tan from a sunlamp or at a tanning salon.
- 4. You don't take a sunburn seriously.
- Do-It-Yourself Skin Exam
3. You've gotten a "base" tan from a sunlamp or at a tanning salon.
"There is no healthy tan," Dr. Burke states emphatically. "To have one, even a light one, is to have skin damaged by UV, so you are less able to fight off skin cancer." More alarming: If you used tanning parlors as a teen or in your 20s, your risk for melanoma spikes 75 percent, says the World Health Organization. Artificial tanning as a teen also increases your risk for squamous cell cancer.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)