Bikini Area Waxing Tricks
- Numb the area. Apply an over-the-counter topical numbing cream like GiGi Antiseptic Numbing Spray ($8.95, drugstores) up to an hour before waxing to dull pain, says Joyce Carboni, founder and spa director at Skinsational Spa in Carlsbad, California.
- Pop a pain reliever. Approximately 30 minutes prior to waxing, take a painkiller such as ibuprofen or aspirin to lessen sensitivity, especially right before your period, suggests Carboni.
- Absorb wetness. Cover the area with a talc, like Shower to Shower Sport Absorbent Body Powder ($2.99 for 8 ounces, drugstores), right before applying wax; this will remove perspiration, so wax adheres to hair, not skin.
- Skip the gym. Avoid any intense cardio for 24 hours post-wax -- it can lead to irritated bumps from swat trapped against the skin under tight-fitting clothes, says Carboni.
- Seek shade. Because waxing removes several layers of skin, the area will be extra sensitive to rays.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, June 2007.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)