The FITNESS Magazine 2013 Beauty Awards
Best Conditioner: Matrix Biolage Advanced Keratindose Conditioner ($19, matrix.com for salons)
- A combo of silk and pro-keratin strengthens weak and damaged strands. "It leaves my fine hair shiny all day but not greasy," a tester said. "And I love the clean scent."
Conditioner Runner-Up: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner ($19, redken.com for salons)
Best Smoothing Product: Blowpro You Only Smoother Advanced Smoothing Spray ($22, ulta.com)
- For hair with a mind of its own, a few spritzes of this will coat each cuticle to put strands in their place "without weighing them down," a tester told us.
Smoothing Product Runner-Up: Agave Healing Oil Treatment ($24, sephora.com)
Best Volumizer: Moroccanoil Volumizing Mousse ($28, moroccanoil.com)
- Argan oil infuses tresses with intense hydration while the lightweight foam takes your 'do to the next level. The proof: "It gave me fabulous hair with lots of bounce," a fan said.
Volumizer Runner-Up: Pureology Pure Volume Instant Levitation Mist ($26, pureology.com for salons)
Best Shampoo: Rene Furterer Lissea Smoothing Shampoo ($28, beauty.com)
- Sudsing up with this sulfate-free formula stops frizz from forming. Avocado oil drenches your hair in moisture, while jasmine and bergamot impart a sultry fragrance.
Shampoo Runner-Up: Redken Diamond Oil Shampoo ($18, redken.com for salons)
Best Frizz Fighter: L'Oreal Paris Advanced Haircare Smooth Intense Frizz Taming Serum ($7, drugstores
- Amino acids and protein join forces to shield hair against humidity for days. "The grapefruit scent is energizing," a voter said.
Frizz Fighter Runner-Up: Joico Humidity Blocker Finishing Spray ($18, joico.com for salons)
Best Shine Product: Oribe Shine Light Reflecting Spray ($36, oribe.com)
- "This is like a shiny topcoat for your hair. Plus it gives roots volume, and it smells like a cross between the beach and fresh linens," a tester commented.
Shine Product Runner-Up: L'Oreal Paris Advanced Haircare Total Repair 5 Multi-Restorative Dry Oil ($7, drugstore.com)
Best Curl Enhancer: Paul Mitchell Curls Twirl Around Crunch-Free Curl Definer ($22, paulmitchell.com)
- A cream-gel hybrid that proves that two is better than one. "This defined my waves and kept them frizz-free, yet it's not sticky like most curl creams," a user said.
Curl Enhancer Runner-Up: Ouidad Wave Create Sea Spray ($23, ouidad.com)
Best Root Touch-Up: TouchBack Marker ($30, Ulta stores)
- So long, pesky grays! "This is quick and easy to use, thanks to the applicator, which is like a big felt-tip pen," a tester said. "The color stays put -- even through Spinning class -- until you wash it out."
Root Touch-Up Runner-Up: Clairol Root Touch-Up by Nice 'n Easy ($8, drugstores)
Best Heat Protectant: Redken Iron Shape 11 Finishing Thermal Spray ($16, redken.com for salons)
- This prevents strands from getting singed. It also locks in your style all day, whatever the weather, testers told us.
Heat Protectant Runner-Up: Philip Kingsley Daily Damage Defense Conditioning Spray ($35, philipkingsley.com)
Best Deep Conditioner: Clear Scalp & Hair Beauty Therapy Damage & Color Repair Deep Nourishing Treatment Mask ($5, Target stores)
- Hydrating ingredients prevent flakes and tangles. "My fried ends look as if they were just cut," a reviewer noted.
Deep Conditioner Runner-Up: Alterna Haircare Caviar RepaiRX Micro-Bead Fill & Fix Treatment Masque ($42, sephora.com)
Best At-Home Hair Color: Garnier Olia ($10, drugstores)
- This kit delivers salon-rivaling shades without drying your strands. Sunflower and passionflower oils leave hair "soft and glossy," one reviewer said.
At-Home Hair Color Runner-Up: eSalon Color Enhancing Treatment ($10, esalon.com)
Best Hot Tool: Coolway AutoSense Styler ($130, coolwayhair.com)
- The secret weapon is the included spray, which makes your hair easier to style at lower temps and prevents the iron from exceeding 299 degrees. "Who knew it was possible to straighten without causing crazy damage?" a staffer marveled.
Hot Tool Runner-Up: Ion Titanium Pro Multi Styler ($70, sallybeauty.com)
Best Leave-In Conditioner: Pantene Pro-V Repair & Protect Overnight Miracle Repair Serum ($7, drugstores)
- "I rake a few pumps through my hair before bed and wake up with polished curls and no mess on my pillow," one reader reported.
Leave-In Conditioner Runner-Up: Joico Daily Care Leave-In Detangler ($15, joico.com for salons)
Best Hair Spray: Redken Control Addict 28 High Control Hairspray ($20, redken.com for salons)
- Meet your hairstylist in a can. This maximum-hold spray tames flyaways, keeps hair in place, adds lift and blocks frizz -- all without flaking.
Hair Spray Runner-Up: Arrojo Primp Working Spray ($22, arrojonyc.com)
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.